Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I'm pretty new to cars and modifying in general, but a buddy and myself recently got a Cold Air Intake for my 2003 OZ Rally. It was one of the cheapo ones off of eBay, but I've read elsewhere that cheap intakes shouldnt be a problem.

But, guess what?! It IS!

I am almost positive I've installed it correctly. I have tried different methods of installation as well. At first, I had the original kit in, and the Lancer worked fine, except for the fact that it didnt idle correctly. Instead of sitting at 500 to like, 750 rpm, it would sit at about 750, drop below 500, and continue to fluctuate. If I didnt give it gas, it would eventually stall out. Say, at a long stop light or something.

But, since that aggrivated me, my buddy and I decided to fool around with the intake again. Instead of having the filter down in the wheel well, so close to the ground, we bought new pipes for it and set it so that the Air filter sat just under the Battery. We figured the air would have less distance to travel, and therefore, be better. Wrong, I guess. When we fired it up, it immediately stalled out. I tried to just give it plenty of gas and get it going, but when I would hold the gas pedal in, the engine would rev up to 3000RPM, and then just go back down, and keep spiking like that.

Now, I've read that it could be the ECU, and I -DID- pull the negative cable on the battery for five minutes and hooked it back up so that the ECU could learn the part, but it still isnt working. I plan on trying to set it up as a shortram today, with just the pipe from the throttle assy going to the MAF, and then stick the filter on the end of that.

If anybody can give me good directions on how exactly I should install it, or if anybody has any ideas as to what is going wrong, PLEASE ASSIST!

Thanks. =D

Also, as another question, I heard that you could swap a Rally's engine (4G94, I believe?) right out with an Evo's engine (4G93?) anybody know if this is possible? I'd like to turn my car into a sleeper. ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
it sounds like an MAF problem. Make sure everything is hooked up correctly to the MAF, also make sure its plugged in. Did you remove the restrictor plate from the maf? that will cause a bad idle. Also check the honeycomb inside the MAF, it is pretty easy to damage if you aren't careful.
Take some photos and post them so we can see if you missed anything

As far as the evo engine goes. It is a 4G63 not 93, the 93 is from a mirage.
Anyway, it is theoretically possible to do that swap, but will require a lot of time and money, and custom work. I only know one person who has done it, and honestly i don't think its worth it.

If you want your car to be a sleeper. Put in new pistons and rods, install a turbocharger and turn up the boost. You will be able to make 300hp and it will still be cheaper than what it'd cost you to do the Evo engine swap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I didnt think we could Turbo an OZ to the point of where it would actually do close to, let alone OVER 200hp. Do you have any idea how much money I would have to put into it?

As for the MAF, thats more or less what I assumed. As for the restrictor plate, I'm not exactly sure what it looks like, but we didnt really mess with the MAF itself. We put on an adapter, and then hooked it in. Here are the pictures.

Thats the initial setup, with everything in, trying to get it to run.

A close up of the MAF with everything hooked in - Notice the Adapter on the front end, going to the throttle assy.

I pulled the MAF out, and took off the adapter.

The inside of the MAF, without the adapter on.

What exactly is the restrictor plate?

·
Registered
371 Posts
you have it installed backwards :)

turn the MAF around so the plug is on the left.

and turbo'ing the 02-03 lancer isn't to difficult. You can build a custom kit using an Evo turbo for around $2,000. That'll get you over 200hp.
feel free to email me if you want more help and details, i can get you all the parts you need.
[email protected]

the restrictor plate is that "plate" /funnel thingy that goes over the front of the honeycomb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, yeah, a few minutes before you posted that, we decided to flip the MAF around and I was looking at it, and was like, 'Wait...Shouldnt the sensor be like, facing the INCOMING end...?'

But yeah, that fixed it. Everything is working great now. =D

I am thinking about messing with the pipes, though. Maybe shortramming it. There is not too much of a performance different though, is there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts