Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter bought this car last week as her first car.

We wanted to upgrade the stereo head unit to be Bluetooth/handsfree. All seemed to be going well IE correct adaptor was found and the functions were working perfectly once the new unit was installed.

The problems started the next day when she went to start the car: it would turn over, but not start. Initially we thought it was a battery problem, even though all dash lights, stereo etc would work when the key was turned to accessories. The battery was hooked up to another car and seemed fully charged.

The next attempt was to replace the original stereo unit, and enter the factory security code as we thought that we had engaged the immobilizer function of the car (like we had been trying to steal the stereo) and it had locked down the car. This is exactly what it sounds like when turning the key.

This also didn't help the ignition problem, so we ended up replacing the new head unit again (which worked perfectly). The battery was disconnected and then reconnected and still the same result.

Ideas for a solution would be greatly appreciated please!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses. Some fuses cover certain functions like immobilisers, but are not listed on the chart.

Or have the keys been dropped? or had battery in remote changed? The chip may have fallen out of the key body

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My daughter bought this car last week as her first car.

We wanted to upgrade the stereo head unit to be Bluetooth/handsfree. All seemed to be going well IE correct adaptor was found and the functions were working perfectly once the new unit was installed.

The problems started the next day when she went to start the car: it would turn over, but not start. Initially we thought it was a battery problem, even though all dash lights, stereo etc would work when the key was turned to accessories. The battery was hooked up to another car and seemed fully charged.

The next attempt was to replace the original stereo unit, and enter the factory security code as we thought that we had engaged the immobilizer function of the car (like we had been trying to steal the stereo) and it had locked down the car. This is exactly what it sounds like when turning the key.

This also didn't help the ignition problem, so we ended up replacing the new head unit again (which worked perfectly). The battery was disconnected and then reconnected and still the same result.

Ideas for a solution would be greatly appreciated please!!!
Just a quick update..
After having the car towed to an auto electrician (where it started for them!!) they found that the wiring for the stereo etc was fine. They did find that the column gear change was a bit glitchy and although it showed the car was in PARK it was actually stuck between NEUTRAL and PARK which is why I believe it wasn't starting. I drove the car for a couple of days with no issues IE. started when cold and restarted after the engine was turned off.

On the weekend I again drove the car a short distance and parked. After about 10 minutes I went to restart the car and the car was dead again!! After about 5 minutes of taking the park brake off (it is a foot pedal one), while moving the column change between the P and N, it finally started. I have tried the car since then and it started first time. Very frustrating.
Has anyone else come across this issue with this car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts