Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey everyone.. Gotta question..... I don't know anything about gas. I usually get UNLEADED, at any gas station. I have a 2004 Mits Endeavor XLS, and i bought it used.. i've had it for six months, and everytime i acclerate, i get a 3 second rattling/pinging sound from somewhere in my engine. some say i am to use premium. some say it will adjust to the gas. some say unleaded is bad for it.. so can anyone help... I CAN"T FIGURE OUT WHY IT WON'T ADJUST< AND IT KEEPS PINGING.... thanks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
okay, first thing first.
It says ON YOUR GAS DOOR "premium required".
To me, that means its required.. meaning you NEED premium.
your owners manual will tell you the same thing

having said that, there is new software for the 04s to lighten light cruise pinging... Although it will NOT eliminate it if you use the incorrect fuel.
take your car into mitsu and have the updated software installed, then use only premium.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the information.. I actually took it in to mitsubishi, and they said they reprogramed the computer.. am i going to put in premium, hopefully it works!!!... any other info ANYONE??? thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
The sticker does say use higher octane fuel, but if you do your research, it was proven even if the manufacture says use high octane, you don't need to. An independent study showed no difference in fuel economy or performance. The higher octane actually put out slightly more unburned fuel in the air. They tried 87/89/91 octane from Shell, and two other big companies...I don't recall which ones. There was no difference except the cost.
My Mitsubishi dealer tech told me to use 87 octane. The computer onboard will compensate and advance or retard the timing to keep it from binging. I drove 6000 miles carrying maybe 500 pounds in the back with two of use up front. This included crossing the Rockies with my Limited all wheel drive and it never pinged once. So if it is pinging, the computer might need tweaking.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Older cars rely more on the right fuel than younger ones - better electronics and more adjustment possibilities.
Not to forget experience that goes into developing better engines etc.

The post is 10 years old ...

Nowadays the refineries always go for the premium fuel - they also learned over the years how to ensure
that mostly the good stuff is made - they can sell it a higher price ...

Soooo .... what happens is they have too much and just add it to the regular - it becomes better ....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2007 Endeavor LS. I even asked the Mitsubishi dealership in Denver about it, and the tech said it shouldn't matter and that the issue sounded like valves sticking. I was tempted to take a video and show him, but I figured he wanted me to schedule an appointment because, job security. Anyway, in CO 85 octane is the regular unleaded, then mid-grade is 87, and premium is 91. If I use 87 the pinging lessens and even moreso with 91. Maybe I'll use an octane booster and see if it takes it down from 5% with 91 to 0%!

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
WOW - in Germany regular is 95 - premium 98 and ultimate 100+

Even in the Philippines they have it too - not all stations have the 100+ stuff though ...

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
North America and places like Germany don't use the same number system for fuel. North America uses AKI where most of the rest of the world uses RON measurements.

AKI = (RON + MON) / 2

Regular AKI 87 ~= RON 91
Mid AKI 89 ~= RON 93
Premium AKI 91 ~= RON 95

And in Canada Pretro Can and Husky both quite often carry AKI 94 ~= RON 101.5

Edit: If you look at MON numbers in comparison they are very low compared to the RON numbers. This is why the AKI numbers are lower since they are an average of the two measurements.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Sorry but most USA Mitsubishi " technicians " suck . Im meaning the ones at the dealership. Even the parts people suck at most dealerships now. Octane does matter and its not valves sticking. You either have a lifter issue , which was not that prevalent on 6G75 engines or just ****ty octane . Most stations in the USA have very ****ty octane , so just put premium. Your not spending much more per gallon , and you're really not beating anything with octane boosters , its just people being cheap and not taking care of their vehicles .

Now as in cases i may do, i use premium because my cars are recommended for it , i do also put octane boosters from time to time in that case , because i do not fully trust some stations. BUt putting regular and putting a booster when your car requires a higher grade , you're only fooling yourself

1 - 10 of 10 Posts