Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to this board. In reference to the above vehicle, When the weather is cold (late fall, winter), when I start the engine after sitting overnight or long down time, once started I get a loud "rattle" coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle under the passenger wheel well. It sounds like a chain rattling but after about 10-15 seconds, it fades away. The vehicle drives fine, smooth and nothing of note in the steering of the vehicle. When it is warm outside (later spring/summer), the sound goes away until the colder season arrives. I have checked on loose bolts, had suspension checked, etc... and nothing appears to be wrong. I know this is very minimal information, but does this sound familiar to anyone? The vehicle has about 125K miles on it. Any ideas? Thanks....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the heat shield on the catalytic converter on the under side of the car basically right below where the passenger sits in the front seat. Hit the shield with your palm (will be hot if you just drove the vehicle) and see if it's the rattling sound you're hearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be power steering pump

Another possibility is that it's an extender in the power steering pump that is supposed to come out when the pump is working and then retract when it's turned off. Sometimes it sticks, and this leads to the clatter when the engine is started. My 2004 has had that for a while, and I'll probably have it addressed the next time I need to change out the timing belt and water pump. I'm at 209,000 with mine, so I feel pretty safe in saying that while the sound is alarming it doesn't seem to be anything to really worry about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, new to this board. In reference to the above vehicle, When the climate is frosty (pre-winter, winter), when I begin the motor in the wake of sitting overnight or long down time, once began I get a boisterous "shake" originating from the front traveler side of the vehicle under the traveler wheel well. It sounds like a chain rattling however after around 10-15 seconds, it blurs away. The vehicle drives fine, smooth and nothing of note in the guiding of the vehicle. When it is warm outside (later spring/summer), the sound leaves until the point when the colder season arrives. I have kept an eye on free jolts, had suspension checked, and so on what's more, nothing seems, by all accounts, to be off-base. I know this is exceptionally negligible data, yet does this sound commonplace to anybody? The vehicle has around 125K miles on it. Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts