Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, long time no see I think. I have a 2004 AWD outlander that had a huge gaping hole (Mama probably hit a rock in the road) on the underside of the drivers side control arm and so it needed to be replaced. Video online showed a nice easy 3 bolt removal. Mine isn't so easy, as usual. I broke the sway bar link, I don't care. I removed the vertical rear bolt surprisingly easy. Front bolt? Eh......I was able to free up the front horizontal bolt about 3/4 of an inch with a ratchet and pipe as an extension and then it just started spinning in place, wobbling the control arm as it spun. I needed easy access to work in there so I cut off my control arm close to that spot and was able to cut the remaining piece out with an angle grinder. I melted the rubber bushing and scraped away all the remnants. I am left with a bolt and sleeve of the bushing as seen in the picture. Bolt turns easily with a wrench. Sleeve spins freely on the bolt. Bolt will not move out OR in. What the heck is holding it in place? I read about a poorly spot welded nut inside the subframe which often breaks free and spins with the bolt in Outlanders and Lancers, but why can't I slide this bolt back IN where it came from if I broke that nut's weld in the subframe. Can anyone enlighten me if the nut is welded inside the subframe at point A or point B or somewhere in between? I tried pulling the bolt out with a crowbar, and I tried hammering it back in. Nope. It spins right in place where it is pictured. I understand that if I broke the nut's weld in the subframe as I was unscrewing it, it would not allow me to remove the bolt any further, but why on earth can I not push it back in freely? That bushing sleeve you see there spins freely. Are there two partitions inside the subframe and perhaps the bolt is on the second one and perhaps I ripped off the bolt with a piece of that partition and now not allowing me back in?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For future reference for anyone who will be doing this job, you gotta open a window for access in the subframe and just weld it back upon completion. The nut is not welded inside the subframe. The nut sits semi-freely inside a cage-like holder, which is attached to the inside of the subframe. Cheap tack-welded cage broke on one side, allowing the nut room to turn but not allowing it to go in or out. I easily chiseled the cage out and was left with the 22mm nut.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts