Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '04 LS AWD, it only has one key. Which didn't bother me, I had bought transponder blank key for ~$20 for my other vehicle in the past and it was no problem to reprogram. Sure enough about the same $20/key for '04 Endeavour...I ordered 2 off eBay.

BUT, as I look at the owner's manual I see programm requires two keys to program a third -- seems way overkill to me...but, alas...

How do I get a 2nd key programmed??? No Mitsu dealer for 150 miles; can a locksmith do this? Are there other workarounds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured out how to do this. One needs to either go to a Mitsubishi dealer with car/key and they'll cut and program a new key as well as the transponder in the column....$$, I learned - $125. For me it would have also been 100 mile drive one way to a dealer.

I called around and fortunately a local locksmith just purchased the equipment to program Mitsu - $84 total.

So, my advice is to check out locksmiths before heading to a dealer.

Safe travels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
as far as i know, there is a spare key under the dash in the immobilizer unit. you could have tried to remove that one and use both of your keys to program a new one yourself. i am not too sure if it will work with the immobilizer key out though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am down to one key as well. I lost my key and the remote. My wife now has the only key. My mitsubishi dealer quated me almost 200.00 to replace the key and prgram it. and then almost the same for the remote.
Where can I get a spare key and where can I go for program instructions on the key?
Larry

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as the key goes, you are out of luck...you have to have both the priginal master and the original valet key. It DOES work if you do, but that doesn't help much. Unless you find a locksmith with the equipment (and they are few), the dealer is the only way to go.

But as for the remote, you can buy an OEM mitsu remote on Ebay and program it yourself..all you need are two paper clips and an alligator clip. the instructions are sent with the unit and are also on /www.programyourremote.com. One note: you have to follow the procedure with all of the remotes and reprog. them all.

Until your are able to find a cheaper solution, remember that you can have a non-transponder key cut for a couple of bucks which will lock/open the doors if you lock the key in the car. The alarm will sound, but you will be able to shut it off.

Also, you can use the non-transponder key to lock and unlock the doors with the engine running. I live in Florida, and when I have my dogs in the truck and have to run into a store for a moment, that's what I do to leave the a/c on. If it is stolen, I'm screwed, but it takes a brave booster to break into a locked vehicle with two big lab mixes in it, lol. The alarm is NOT armed when doing this. You can't use the remotes to lock/unlock with the engine running, either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i lost one key for a 04 galant i grabed the key off line for 20 then i when to my dealer and got it cut and programmed for $57 total cost of my key and cut + programming about $80 us

when i called a local lock smith the guy told me if they mess up the key and all this run around that i'm screwed out of luck and he wanted more then the DEALER did so why the hell would i go to him LOL

i wish there was a easy way to program the galant key instead of going to the dealer or a locksmith

always calll your DEALER and LOCAL LOCK SMITHS to get prices before anything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts