Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Had the timing belt fail on my Outlander - as I coasted to a stop I had visions of the parts I bought 6 months prior and were sitting in my garage that I never got around to replacing.

Bad luck has it, after completing the swap water pump incl. I was unable to get the engine started, a compression yielded cylinder 2 and 4 won't hold any compression.... Safe to say, bent valves.

So, considering I have 260km (over 160k miles) on the engine I'm posed with the decision of quick fix head job, or source a long block and swap it out.

What other engines are compatible with the 2005 Outlander 4g69 ?

I know there's some from a lancer, galant, etc but am not sure what differences I might run into for a direct swap bolt in .. or if there are small things need to be changed.

What is different about a 2004 4g69 besides ECU and having a security chip in the key ?

There's a local engine w/ 155km on it that would be a great replacement.

Also, transmissions - any difference from 2004 to 2005 ? Mines slipping so I might as well get that done too...

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
There are a few vehicles that got the 4G69 to my knowledge they should be swappable between models but I have never looked into it. The 2004 ECU's also have a VIN lock (lancer and outlander maybe others) that won't report the VIN to a scanning tool. It may or may not cause issues if you also yoink a ECU.

Depending on how much your paying for a full motor a RRM Stage 2 Head for Lancer RalliArt might be worth looking into. It comes with new gaskets and might even come with new valves etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Izerous @ Nov 3 2015, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There are a few vehicles that got the 4G69 to my knowledge they should be swappable between models but I have never looked into it. The 2004 ECU's also have a VIN lock (lancer and outlander maybe others) that won't report the VIN to a scanning tool. It may or may not cause issues if you also yoink a ECU.

Depending on how much your paying for a full motor a RRM Stage 2 Head for Lancer RalliArt might be worth looking into. It comes with new gaskets and might even come with new valves etc.[/b]

Appreciate the link to the above, good call on swapping the ECU with the build, I will ask the yard to provide it too.

I found the 2004 long block here for $750 ..so I'm give or take $820 with delivery and tax. 155km on it.

**Edit ** wait a second, no ... if I keep my existing ECU and swap over the wiring harness and use my same keys there shouldn't be any issue for me to start the vehicle, unless the engine has vin lock that would just be a sensor somewhere wouldn't it ?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My first thought too chain rattle.

Don´t know if there is anything cast into block that communicates with ECU.
Because that would prevent stealing a car and switching ECU etc. from a totaled car ... or buying the parts even.

Example: Mercedes has electronics inside gearbox that communicate with ECU.
Electronics in gearbox or gearbox itself damaged beyond repair ... you can´t just go to wrecker.
New gearbox and / or electronics have to be programmed to your car ...
ONLY Mercedes can do that.
No chance for anybody else except Mercedes to do business ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I did this last year with success. Got an AWD block and swapped her in my 2WD

If anyone goes AWD to 2WD Outlander engine beware the rear bracket for the intermediate shaft. Bolts are in different places, use a tap to re-thread the corrosion while the engine is out of the car. Ended up having to lift it out when I was nearly done.

Only other issue is it wouldn't start at times, either the connection to the starter ground was iffy or it was the starter itself.

Cleaned off the terminals, used some die electric grease, replaced starter with a used one from the yard and a year later I'm rolling with no issues.

Also, if you're going from 2004 to 2005 - the plug for the Crank position sensor is built into the side covers of the engine .... unfortunately the plug differed from my wiring harness, which I also didn't find out until after I had the engine nearly ready to start which then began the beautiful task of removing all of the pulleys and side covers (the water pump pully especially beautiful with its 4 bolts on a rotating wheel where not all are accessible at once so rotating and removing the side engine mount is necessary.. ugh)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on how you fixed your outlander? Had the same thing happen and I am currently informing as to whether I should do the same. Any suggestion and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Hey all,

Had the timing belt fail on my Outlander - as I coasted to a stop I had visions of the parts I bought 6 months prior and were sitting in my garage that I never got around to replacing.

Bad luck has it, after completing the swap water pump incl. I was unable to get the engine started, a compression yielded cylinder 2 and 4 won't hold any compression.... Safe to say, bent valves.

So, considering I have 260km (over 160k miles) on the engine I'm posed with the decision of quick fix head job, or source a long block and swap it out.

What other engines are compatible with the 2005 Outlander 4g69 ?

I know there's some from a lancer, galant, etc but am not sure what differences I might run into for a direct swap bolt in .. or if there are small things need to be changed.

What is different about a 2004 4g69 besides ECU and having a security chip in the key ?

There's a local engine w/ 155km on it that would be a great replacement.

Also, transmissions - any difference from 2004 to 2005 ? Mines slipping so I might as well get that done too...

Thanks in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts