Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!!
My first time posting on this forum and not incredibly mechanically minded so be gentle haha.

Right! I have bought a 2005 Pajero Sport with the 3.0 V6 on an auto box, all is well apart from some engine codes and now a leaking gearbox. I've been working through the codes (P0125 Insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop fuel control (confirmed), P0170 Fuel trim malfunction bank 1 (pending), P0173 Fuel trim malfunction bank 2 (pending)) next step from what i can tell (reading up on forums) is o2 sensors and then the throttle control module. Whilst I'm here to ask about the gearbox I thought that was also worth mentioning. Just incase anyone had any insight?

ATF levels have been fine not requiring topping up for the past 6 months, this being just the short time I have owned the vehicle. Then my family came to visit and it had its first trip down a motorway or peage seen as I'm in France. Stop at the peage booths to pay my toll, notice smoke coming out the bonnet, obviously I pull over directly after the booths and have a look. Doesn't look to be coming out of the sump anywhere. There's some drips on some bolt heads on the underside of the gearbox. Looks more to be somewhere around the front as that's where the oil mostly is. It has dripped on the front prop shaft which has spread it around (including the exhaust, hence the smoke) making it difficult to see where it has leaked from. Naturally, I cleaned all this up then went for a drive, came home climbed back under, no leak! Check ATF level as it was. So now I'm here hoping you knowledgable lot can help me out? Why would it leak on the motorway and doesn't seem to be elsewhere. I live in a mountainous area so highest speed locally about 80kph (50mphish) I was cruising on the motorway approx 100kph-110kph (60-70mphish) just before I noticed the smoke at the peage. Strangely was quite a considerable leak and as I say driving round locally and keeping an eye on the levels seems to be fine. I drive for about ten minutes to get the box up to hot to check the level, is that enough time/heat?

I have always absolutely loved these cars from afar but never quite been in the position to afford one, please help me get to the bottom of this and keep living the dream! I can exchange some secret locals only off piste summer and winter routes in the Porte du Soleil for MTB, snowboard/skis and offroading for your expertise haha.

If there's anything I could of added to help with diagnosis please let me know?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and doubly triply thanks for any help/advice offered!!!

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
514 Posts
Are you sure its AT oil? Is the oil red?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes pretty sure it is red, some looks like engine oil but assumed had just got dirty as majority of the oil is red and when it drips off some of the bolt heads and i rub between my fingers definite redness to it. the bits that look like engine oil are where it has got dirty and the drips that look red are where it is still quite clean.
why? does the only leaking at speed/high flow/high pressure indicate engine oil?

thanks for replying!!

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
514 Posts
Power steering oil is red also...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts