Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi friends, I was driving home the other night when i noticed smoke coming from my engine (2006 Lancer 2.0 auto). I stopped and found a really bad curry like smell coming from under the bonnet, and it was obvious that coolant had leaked out from several places, and there was none left in the bottle at all.
I put more in and drove it home very slowly but noticed smoke starting up again, although the temp gauge was not going up (it was a 5minute drive)
Essentially I am not sure what to do next. Is this safe to drive to a mechanics like this, given that I don't know what's wrong exactly? It's obviously not a valuable car but I'm off work for several years now with blood cancer and can't afford to pay for an expensive repair, so I was wondering if it may be something easy to fix that I might have a go at myself (zero experience with car repair) because i really need my car.
I didn't like seeing the leakage around the engine block, or the burn marks around the spark plugs. There is a piece of foam sponge between the radiator grill and the front of the car that is soaked in some liquid too, maybe coolant. I checked the coolant level fairly regularly, but had never topped it up in 16months as it didn't appear to need it, is this normal?
I have enclosed some photos. The smoke seemed to be coming from the area shown in the last picture.
Please excuse my mechanical ignorance, but I only recently started driving.
Any thoughts or suggestions very gratefully received.
Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts

these things you can check out first yourself when well eneough

blown radiator hoses /
stuck thermostat/
faulty radiator cap /
hole in radiator

if workshop is the last solution
my advice ...........take 4 lts of water with you .......you wont be able to drive too far ..
if needed top up the radiator on the way ..... to get to the workshop

before you start out you can fill the cooling system to the top
and put the radiator cap on one click only so the pressure doesnt build up

.. a replacement motor for the 2006 lancer is in the thousands

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback chain rattle, I think I might leave it a couple of days (as it's due to be 40degrees next couple of days) and then brave the short drive to the mechs. Since posting this I found a very useful walkthrough on the web on how to check out faults on cooling system, so I might give that a go first -
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot
Something that is not clear to me is the relationship between water and the radiator, in so much as I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that you weren't supposed to put water in the radiator, only coolant. Is this incorrect?
(I'm sorry to hear you are suffering the trials of illness chainrattle, and I hope things go well for you.)

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Water is fine for limited use in the summer or above freezing temperatures, 40'f/40'c is above freezing and helped with warm engine it would be ok. But places like here where is has been -20'c (-4'f) with -30'c (-22'f) wind chills the past week strait water isn't even an option. Also "premixed" coolant is something like 50% water.

When you have a spare moment top it back off and circle the block a couple times and see if you can find where it's coming from. Don't open the radiator cap when the engine is hot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts