Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We heard a bad metal crunching noise coming from the rear of our 2008 AWD V6 Endeavor this week. After doing some checking it looks like the front passenger side mount on the rear crossmember (k-frame?) has rusted enough to break off. The rear mount on that side doesn't look much better.

I see Mitsubishi did a recall in 2016 for Lancer and Outlanders because they had front crossmember mounts rotting out (SR-16-003). Unfortunately that doesn't cover the Endeavors or the rear crossmember.

Anyways, I think I need to replace the entire crossmember because, I'm not a welder but, I don't think the crossmember mounts are weldable. The level of rust rot is pretty bad. I could be wrong on that though. The biggest problem I am having right now is that I cannot seem to find a replacement rear crossmember. Any ideas on where to locate one?

I'm currently looking up salvage yards in central NY but they don't give much info online. The idea of driving for an hour or 2 to a bunch of pick and pulls just to find out they don't have a usable replacement does not sound like fun. If they do I get to remove it in this NY cold. Woohoo! lol It's probably my only affordable option though.

I can take some pictures of the crossmember mounts if needed. (Probably will shortly.) Tips on removing and installing the crossmember are welcome.

We love our Endeavor and hope to get it back up and running ASAP. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front passenger side mount on the rear crossmember.

Rear passenger side mount on the rear crossmember.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WOW, that looks bad. I'd be willing to bet the rest of the car is not far behind. I would put it out to pasture. I have a 2006 Eclipse that's getting near the end , seems like these cars were not protected at all. and New England weather has destroyed them all. Don't waste your money on this one either. It looks like the mounts to the body are really bad too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
WOW, that looks bad. I'd be willing to bet the rest of the car is not far behind. I would put it out to pasture. I have a 2006 Eclipse that's getting near the end , seems like these cars were not protected at all. and New England weather has destroyed them all. Don't waste your money on this one either. It looks like the mounts to the body are really bad too.
I bought this almost 2 years ago and I am still paying on it (got 5 year personal loan for $6000 to buy it.) It is our only vehicle and if I can fix it I have to. Options and money are limited. We are going to have to start looking for something we can afford to replace this I guess.

Even worse we have already put around $4000 into fixing this. The check engine light came on and muffler fell off in the first 3 days we had it. The mechanic said the check engine code was due to a bad Evap solenoid. 1 month after we bought it the exhaust manifold literally blew apart while driving home from the store with my wife and 3 year old daughter and cost $2600 to replace both exhaust manifolds, and the catalytic converters attached. The gas tank started leaking badly around the seam 2 months after we bought it. That was $300 for a used tank (hard as F to find) and I installed it. I have already had to replace 3 of the 4 wheel bearings but that is, at least, understandably normal wear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. The Ebay listing is for the FWD which uses the crossmember part mr589218 (replacement sku 4100a031). The AWD uses part mr589198 (repalcement sku 4100a032). I am searching. It doesn't help that there are tons of, from what I can tell, fake or dead listings that give no replies when you email them or use the site contact system. I'm going to call the nearest Mitsubishi dealership on Monday. The part is discontinued (like most Endeavor parts) but maybe they can find one used or new. Finally have a borrowed car for a couple weeks. I'm going to check out some nearby (within hour or 2) salvage yards that say they have 1 or 2 Endeavors in their lots. I think all Endeavor AWD years 2004 to 2011 will work.

Looking at this at the moment... This site looks exactly like 50 or so other Mitsubishi parts sites I have looked at (most say the part is unavailable.) Not sure how trust worthy it is.

Again, thank you for your help. Every bit helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts