Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Outlander ES 2.4L FWD pops a little when I turn. Also, it is pulling slightly to the left, but also sometimes feels like the front end floats back and forth slightly while driving(but not constantly). Could this be my CV Axle? It looks like my inner boot may be torn a little. The air pressure in the tires is the same in all of them. Any more ideas on what to check? Also, it is a left hand drive and it is passenger side that has tear. If I change this CV Axle, will I lose any CVT fluid that I'll need to replace?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the boot is torn, the joint is probably damaged. Replace the whole axle on that side with a rebuilt unit. It is possible to replace just the joint, repack and reseal it, but a whole rebuilt assembly is often no more expensive and a lot easier to just swap out. The ‘wandering’ is likely due to not enough toe-in, or sloppy tie rod ends. Either one will cause it to hunt back and forth. Get an alignment and replace any worn out parts will cure the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the boot is torn, the joint is probably damaged. Replace the whole axle on that side with a rebuilt unit. It is possible to replace just the joint, repack and reseal it, but a whole rebuilt assembly is often no more expensive and a lot easier to just swap out. The ‘wandering’ is likely due to not enough toe-in, or sloppy tie rod ends. Either one will cause it to hunt back and forth. Get an alignment and replace any worn out parts will cure the problem.
Thanks. Any idea how much CVT fluid I will lose while changing it out? It's on passenger side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Never done one before (on the CVT) but typically the fluid level is below the seals on most transmissions, so it’s usually minimal. I would place a catch pan under it in case you do lose some. Check the level when you’re done and plan to add the same amount that comes out. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts