Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I need some help
i have a 2011 eclipse gs sport and can not find a replacement oem HID driver side headlight. Has anyone had to replace this type of headlight before and if so what did you do? i was checking to see if i could just replace it with aftermarket headlights but everyone is telling me that the only compatible headlights they carry are for the factory halogen models not the stupid factory HIDs.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Headlight - I would buy a new one from mitsu dealer -
if too expensive - go to junkjard - or ebay

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Places my CarID and similar retailers may also have "replace" or "tyc" type replacements. Not "Mitsubishi OEM" but made to look like the originals as replacements worth snooping around a bit. But wreckers and a headlight refinishing kit would be my first place to look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I also have the 2011 Eclipse, although I don't think it's the GS. The lightbulb on the passenger side has changed color. It's turned from white to red. The replacement bulb is nearly seventy dollars. Is this something a generally handy hands-on technical person but non car expert can do on his own?

It appears to be necessary to take the front bumper off to do this??

I've searched youtube for directions, and wasn't able to find any that were specific to this year. Others show the standard twist and remove procedure, but this appears to be much more difficult.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
The HID D1S bulb is a very common bulb if it came with factory HID , autoparts stores have this for 100 bucks with warranty. Did you buy this car brand new? Are you sure its factory HID and not Aftermarket. Does your HID bulb have 2 wires coming out the back of it each having its own plug, one wire white and one black or one black and one blue? If so this is aftermarket HID and not factory.

And if you are looking to replace this your best replacement is to go LED and not HID, just as bright and brighter and longer life span

·
Registered
7 Posts
The car was bought new. These are the original bulbs. The service manual I found online indicates it's necessary to take the front bumper off to be able to then take the lens assembly off and apart to get to the bulb.

Do you have a part number or other information on replacing these bulbs with the LED equivalent? That sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Firstly you need to find out if its halogen or HID to begin with , Ive done many 2006-2010 with the 2010 should have the same identical light bulb and i've done it by removing the inner fender liner and the rear of the bulb was able to access . If you have Halogen , replace it with halogen , make sure the socket is ok. With halogen bulbs the ground terminal of the socket gets very hot and usually causes a poor ground and causes the bulb to be weak and red looking.

Generally i love replacing halogen bulbs with LED, they have a wonderful colour and brightness to them and last long. They also don't heat up as much as halogen or HID bulbs

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are the HID headlights - the ones that cost $70 each.

I've attached a few pictures of the passenger side. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what's involved in replacing them? It doesn't appear to be something that could be accessed by removing the inner fender, especially on the driver side.

Hopefully they've uploaded correctly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
It doesnt say anything about removing the bumper , the are accessible from the view above or removing the liner and the lower side.But its very accessible from on top. You remove the bumper cover if replacing the whole headlight assembly. Like i wrote its an H1S

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
You basically put your hand in that small space and turn that little back cover , counter clockwise and you will see the bulb. There will be a a little wire plug in on the side of the HID bulb and a special clip that releases it from the housing

·
Registered
7 Posts
You basically put your hand in that small space and turn that little back cover , counter clockwise and you will see the bulb. There will be a a little wire plug in on the side of the HID bulb and a special clip that releases it from the housing
Do you have any information, or instructions, on how to remove the special clip? I've been able to remove the plastic cap, but see no way to removce the light, or even any clip that might be involved.

As I pointed to in the service manual, it appears to indicate the front bumper (or whatever the plastic piece is called), so I would sure appreciate any tips on a better way to do it.

I especially don't see how it would be possible to remove the headlight from the driver side when there's clearly no space available to remove that cap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also would like to know exactly how you remove the clip. Any info would be greatly appreciated. So there is nothing placed behind the bulb casing, only that clip holds it in place.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts