Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, My 2012 Outlander recently had some fault finding done from an Auto-Elec to source what was possibly a blown fuse created from a trailer short which affected the (vehicle end) at the accessory plug. After losing trailer lights again from the (same trailer, not fixed correctly), I located the fuse and a replacement was done and the connection was tested on a different trailer with great results. The only issue is that when the car is completely switched off, the rear parkers remain illuminated until the afour-mentioned fuse is removed.

Things I've done. Disconnected battery, added fuse then re-connected battery, added fuse with vehicle running and all light on. Tried different amp fuse. My thoughts were that something may need to be reset in the vehicle itself ?
Thanks for any advice or tips, regards Paul.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It sounds like something might have melted when you had the initial fault. On many cars (unsure about the Outlander) bulbs which can be lit when the ignition is off have power running to them all the time but there is no earth connection.

Turning the switch/pressing the brake pedal then connects the bulb(s) to earth, completing the circuit. If, when you had your problem, the insulin was melted and it now shorts to earth, or maybe your Auto-elec screwed up (I wonder why you aren't asking them) even when they are not switched on.

It's also possible that the switch is faulty.

I'd start by
1. getting a volt meter to see if the live side of the bulb is always on
2. Check the resistance across the switch to see if it really is switching off. This might be a challenge as the backs of the switches can be hard to figure out
3. going down the cable from the earth side of the bulb to see if (where) the wire is shorting to earth.

As the lights are probably in a pair, the earth short could be from either bulb and the may both come on

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like something might have melted when you had the initial fault. On many cars (unsure about the Outlander) bulbs which can be lit when the ignition is off have power running to them all the time but there is no earth connection.

Turning the switch/pressing the brake pedal then connects the bulb(s) to earth, completing the circuit. If, when you had your problem, the insulin was melted and it now shorts to earth, or maybe your Auto-elec screwed up (I wonder why you aren't asking them) even when they are not switched on.

It's also possible that the switch is faulty.

I'd start by
1. getting a volt meter to see if the live side of the bulb is always on
2. Check the resistance across the switch to see if it really is switching off. This might be a challenge as the backs of the switches can be hard to figure out
3. going down the cable from the earth side of the bulb to see if (where) the wire is shorting to earth.

As the lights are probably in a pair, the earth short could be from either bulb and the may both come on
O.k. Thanks for your help and your detailed reply sstanley, All things considered, yes I should have returned the vehicle to him or possibly gathered more information to correct the original problem, but given that I set it up on my own faulty trailer again when he delivered the vehicle to me working properly (blown fuse located and new accesory line installed), and the local auto-electricians in my area usually have vehicles booked weeks ahead I wanted to try and investigate the problem myself. I will run through the options you've suggested though as it may help bring me closer to the fault, thanks Paul.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts