Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother bought a used 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE from a dealer. It came with 2 different key fob remotes. One locks/unlocks the doors and the other remote starts the car. To do both, he has to carry both remotes with his keys. He does not have a duplicate set so he is SOL if he loses these. I think the dealer or previous owner Frankensteined 2 vehicles together.

I told him to take the vehicle to a Mitsubishi dealer and ask if they could reprogram one or the other of the remotes. He claims he did and they wanted $600 to fix the problem. I don't know if the dealer was giving him a price on new remotes and replacing the components in the vehicle or for just reprogramming the one remote that appears to be capable of both remote starting and lock/unlocking some vehicle that it came with. The other remote doesn't even have a button to remote start unless it's a combination thing.

Is there a cheaper solution to his problem? Can that one remote be reprogrammed and if so what should that cost? I haven't seen any on Ebay that look like either of these and I don't want to take a chance and do something that would screw things up even more. I know Best Buy sells multi-function remotes but with installation and other parts needed, it could cost $600 or more.

Photos attached. I think the longer one starts and the shorter one locks/unlocks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds about right they are expensive they probably just quoted him for a brand new key fob and coding because the transponder is fried in the unlock/lock key fob. They also could be just trying to suck money out of your brother, the key fob to unlock and lock the doors should start the vehicle without the presence of the remote start fob and may simply need to be reprogrammed which should not be $600. Im surprised its not covered by warranty. Try talk with a automotive locksmith in your area, its such a common issue with Mitsubishi im sure they will have some advice for you. It maybe possible to make your 1 key fob with door unlock/lock function start the car but you would loose the remote start function alltogether. It would be a matter of pulling apart both fobs and removing the transponder from the remote start fob and putting it in the other key fob with the buttons . There are heaps of tutorials to talk you through re programming and coding your original key with a procedure online. I would try that first, but you may have a model that simply needs be done with a computer either by a registered automotive locksmith or a Mitsubishi dealer itself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts