Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's -9 C here in Vancouver BC and we went out for a short drive and parked the car for about 30 minutes. When I tried to start the car all I got were warning and failure messages from an array of systems including brakes, EV module, camera and a host of others and the car wouldn't budge. I couldn't select D or R and I turned it off and on several times to no avail. We left the car for about 2 hours and my wife jumped in and drove away like nothing had been wrong and it was still -9 C outside. I had never seen these messages before and the car has been recently serviced. I suspect a sensor fault but there's no trace now. Pretty crappy having to walk away from your $55k car without a hope of repairing it. Technology is out of control here. Too many sensors, computers and controls. I might have to invest in an Autel scanner and keep it in the car.

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
560 Posts
How is your 12v battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is your 12v battery?
Sometimes we turn it on and off several times and it starts.
The first time it happened we gave up after about five minutes and returned two hours later and it fired right up so its' not a battery issue per se.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes we turn it on and off several times and it starts.
The first time it happened we gave up after about five minutes and returned two hours later and it fired right up so its' not a battery issue per se.
The dealership is mysitfied. The only code stored is for low battery voltage but a load test showed it is good. Internal battery fault when cold? Why does it work and then not work? The dealer says when the battery fails these random messages are displayed because the ECU is powered by the starter battery.

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
560 Posts
That is why i asked about 12v battery.. Its the most common intermittant problem. Next time it does it, check your battery voltage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is why i asked about 12v battery.. Its the most common intermittant problem. Next time it does it, check your battery voltage
Well this is pretty dumb then. When the voltage threshold is not met the car will throw up a bunch of erroneous messsages and not start instead of reporting a low battery state and need a boost unlike an ICE car that will crank slowly.
The car reports when the key fob battery is low or tpms monitor or cameras blocked but not the starter battery. That's lame.

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
560 Posts
Batteries go faulty intermittantly. Thats the common way they fail.

It has stored a low voltage code, so its time to replace it. They are not cheap though. And whilst some battery manufacturers may suggest theirs is suitable, the Factory supplied YUASA is the only one that is. Here in Australia we just had a service recall to check batteries that are installed in PHEV's, as there have been reports of non standard batteries leaking, and as it is stored inside the passenger compartment, this is highly undesireable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cars are just computers on wheels I'm afraid. The battery is an absolutely critical component. Regard it as a consumable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts