Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,
i have not long owned my 92 gsr (full evo 3 rep) for very long and a few things have came about that i would like to know about,

1) Can you get to the gearbox without removing the engine?

2) Last night i was coming down my drive and the car sort of dies for half a second then comes back on, showing the check engine light and the turbo light? does anyone know why this is? (i am going to take it to get a diagnostic test in the next 2 days)
maybe to do with alarm or turbotimer?

3) What is the work involved for the thrust bearings? They rattle a bit when clutch is out but stops when the clutch is put back in, also when driving it makes a bit of a whine/small grindish noise, could this be to do with the thrust bearing also?

4) Gearbox not as smooth as it should be, what can i do to make it have smoother gear changes?

5) tappets in morning are a bit noisy, ive got some stuff to put in with the oil though that should quieten them down a bit

6) Rust in the roof.. can you get away with a sand back and bog or do you have to do the whole roof chop?

any answers to any of these would be much appreciated

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
1) Can you get to the gearbox without removing the engine?
YES. couple of bolts on top, a couple on the bottom. brace the engine properly as 3 of the 4 mounts are on the gearbox. undo the bolts, loosen then x-member mounts then with the gearbox braced on a separate jack to the engine, undo the top gearbox mount bolt and the box will tilt away from the engine. may need to undo the shifter cables too.
3) What is the work involved for the thrust bearings? They rattle a bit when clutch is out but stops when the clutch is put back in, also when driving it makes a bit of a whine/small grindish noise, could this be to do with the thrust bearing also?
once you've got the gearbox out you can change the thrust bearing. need to ensure the shaft for the bearing is very clean, smoothed (2000 grit sandpaper wet works) and some good moly-grease should make it a bit better. check your clutch fork for bends and if poss replace with an Evo1-3 one.vr4 one doesnt fit.

4) Gearbox not as smooth as it should be, what can i do to make it have smoother gear changes?
check that the rubber bush on the firewall hasnt split and check for play in the levers. you can get new bushes from mitsi for the bottom of the shifter.

5) tappets in morning are a bit noisy, ive got some stuff to put in with the oil though that should quieten them down a bit
tappets are easy to replace. see vfaq.com for more. replace the gasket on the cam cover and spark holes at the same time. recommend 1-2days in diesel with occasional purging with a paperclip in the end to clean them properly.also put some gasket maker on the half moon thing cos 4g93's leak there

6) Rust in the roof.. can you get away with a sand back and bog or do you have to do the whole roof chop?
easier to do the roof. 1500 drive in drive out at most places.easy sunroof upgrade too (get the loom!) the roof is removed along the top of the door where the black seal runs. spot welded in so easy to drill out and weld back in. need to factor in both windscreens out tho.

have fun - im building a mitsi evo 3 - theres a lot to learn and once you know more - there's more to do!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts