Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girl's
I just bought a 97 STR Legnum and Ive noticed that on 3/4 of a tank of gas it so far has only got 200km and thats like 35litres of gas, which in almost all cases is to higher consumption? Is it normal for the 2.5 legnums? Can some one please help? Ive had experience with the 97 gdi Galant and that gets almost 500km off that much fuel, I understand mine is going to use more due to engine size but should there be that much of a difference??

Oh and its tiptronic

Another thing is every 2nd or 3rd time i start the car the engine will start but all dash features will turn off? would this be the battery beign to small for a v6? it seems relatively small to me? and when this happens an i move the stick to drive it makes a graunching sound and the abs wont activate properly.

HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah - this is a problem it seems many experience with these wagons. Mines the VR4 V6 and its piss poor on economy even when not giving it stick. in fact its no different - may as well drive hard everywhere. I get 250km per tank around town and 400kms open road. its a nice looking car but got a fat ass - weighs fair bit more than the sedan VR4.

don't know about your dash lights problem, but could be the ongoing didgy electrics in the mitsi cars. frequent problem is the clock not working, and now i've just found my fan blower (heater /aircon) has stopped working. gotta love it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Own a 97 STR myself and can't believe how bad the economy is.

Have resorted to driving like a granny and now achieve significant increases, now getting on average 12.4l / 100 km. Approx 360 K's on a tank round town.

Driving like it's stolen will result in only 200 K's from a tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep sounds like normal fuel consumption to me. With the 4wd, a\c and all the electrics these cars use lots of fuel. They are majorly heavy too whick all leads to high fuel consumption.

Hard to say on the cluster problem, my initial thoughts are the cluster itself. A battery problem would prevent it from starting in the first place so it's probably not that. It may be worth while to remove the cluster and check all the plugs are secure in their holders and that the cluster is seating on the plugs properly too. If that's all ok see if a wrecker will let you try a second hand one or give a dealer a call and see if they have had many with faulty clusters come in.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey there,
i not long bought a 97 legnum str and have found it very economical on fuel.i am getting about 350km to a tank.
at the moment im having problems with the passenger window, which every now and then drops down when i put it right up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All I can say is you need to learn how to drive economically! I can easily get well over 400kms from a tank of gas. Open road I worked out my 97 ST-R can comfortably do 30mpg.

As for 200kms from a tank??? can't imagine how this could be possible....perhaps you need to check your fuel system for leaks ;)

At the end of the day, the car is 1.5 ton empty and 4 wheel drive, and the auto trans all adds to the fuel consumption of the vehicle. However figures mentioned in this forum are shocking, my advise is don't floor it every time the light goes green.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, just as added reference for you, I've got a Kiwi-new '01 V6-24 sedan, tiptronic, and on the average I manage 9.5 km/L (that's 10.5L/100 km or 28MPG Imperial) averaged over a week in Auckland traffic, no aircon, plus some motorway driving on the weekend. Being my first 6-cyl car and coming from a decade of 5 four-cylinder cars, I was conscious at first of how I drove. My experience so far has been a surprise -- my previous cars averaged 8-9 km/L, and this car, which is a V6, used LESS fuel. Driving out of town to Taumarunui, Tauranga, and Hamilton, I averaged 12.5 km/L (8L/100 km or 37.8MPG)

In saying this, a mate has a Legnum like yours, which they bought because it has 4WD. The weight and drag from the extra diff, etc, compounded by the automatic gearbox, will certainly result in a consumption worse than mine. Add to that you probably usually run the car with the aircon compressor on. That's another good 15% increase.

According to an ex-Mitsubishi mechanic friend of mine, a lot of effort has been made into making the V6 pretty frugal, including how the engine and transmission communicate via computer, the gearbox shift pattern, or even how the alternator's operation is govered by the ECU. The car will help you save fuel under normal circumstance -- but plant your foot on the gas, and it knows you want to GO, and will prioritise performance over economy.

Just remember -- the Galant's not a light car (weighs as much as my previous '95 Audi A4 1.8), and combined with the extra weight and drag penalties of the drivetrain and automatic, don't expect it to be as frugal as a Mazda 323. Learn how to drive it correctly.

You DON'T need to drive like a geriatric, but be wary of how your right foot steps on the gas. Observe the rev counter -- even a slight sudden push of the gas will push the revs up with hardly any increase in actual speed (but uses more fuel while doing so). Might as well travel at the same speed with the revs kept low.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nimrod : frequent problem is the clock not working, and now i've just found my fan blower (heater /aircon) has stopped working. gotta love it...

Not sure if you still have this car or have had this fixed, but anyway.

I had this fan thing happen to me a while back was really easy to fix no prob since, the is a plug under the dash on the passengers side, in my case it had actually melted :/ i just broke the plastic off and insulated the wires with tape and stuck the connection on individually. you should check it anyway.

I also have the clock prob goes of all the time i heard that is also easy to fix just a spot of solder, but does anyone know how to get the **** thing off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ST GDI 1800cc and I'm having the same problem with my clock flashing on and off, good thing there is a clock on my stereo. I would like to know how to get it off as well.

As for the mileage, are you guys driving like V8 supercars!! I filled my tank up just before xmas and that cost me about $65. With a fairly even spread of city/highway driving, I got almost 700km out of a tank and i wasn't driving like a granny.

Get you cars looked at and maybe a tune up could help.

The only real complaint I have is my transmition does some crazy thing from time to time, like dropping down a gear for no reason at all or just suddenly rev as if it is in neutral when i put my foot down just a little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys... i too have the clock problem... not sure of how to fix that alone with a whole bunch of other problems.. i recently bought a st gbi 1997 1840cc 64 litre tank. the spark plugs have recently been changed and i believe the previous owner didnt replace them with the right plugs. could someone please check for me what kind of plugs are required? dont have a handbook either..
thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, have just bought a '97 Legnum ST GDI 1840 and have been told differing stories on what fuel type to put in. Can you enlighten us as to whether it takes 91 or 95-96 octane. Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all,

my 97 legnum gdi 1.8 does the same sorta funny stuff with the gears its like it can't make up its mind between 2nd - 3rd, its fine if u are going full knock,
i have found that putting Morey's Stabilizing Oil in helps a lot,

i have one problem tho - my central locking button inside the drivers door doesn't work, i got a new switch too, but the mitsi dealer said it would be wiring,
do any of u guys know what is wrong ?
also my button for putting mirrors in doesn't work,

thanks
:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
how big are the legnum tanks?

my 1.8 legnum is perfect on fuel consumption!! 10l gets it 160k's when driving normally on highway
from what ive read here, the 2.5v6 legnum seems to have worse consumption than my GTO !! whats going on here!!

lol and yea im one of the tonnes with the useless clock

·
Registered
4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wbosher @ Jan 14 2008, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a ST GDI 1800cc and I'm having the same problem with my clock flashing on and off, good thing there is a clock on my stereo. I would like to know how to get it off as well.

The only real complaint I have is my transmition does some crazy thing from time to time, like dropping down a gear for no reason at all or just suddenly rev as if it is in neutral when i put my foot down just a little.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whitecarwifablackbumpa @ Oct 24 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my 97 legnum gdi 1.8 does the same sorta funny stuff with the gears its like it can't make up its mind between 2nd - 3rd, its fine if u are going full knock,
i have found that putting Morey's Stabilizing Oil in helps a lot,[/b]
Anyone have any luck with these things?

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaulioGZ @ Aug 24 2009, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone have any luck with these things?

Paul[/b]
The clock is rather easy to get off. It just needs to be lifted straight up. It has two staunch clips holding it in. It requires a bit of effort but you wont break it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a Legnum 2.5 Turbo wagon, and yes, around town it is a pig on gas, but went on a 250km trip, and it was getting 12l/100......
Have a problem with the clock also

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tks CR ... I've just jumped out of a Nissan 300ZX, been playing with them since 1972, and I have to say, this Legnum is no slug.
I'm toying width the idea of a Hiclone to try and get better fuel econony, but there isn't much room to fit it....

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
yep ...may not be room because of the maf location
two places to fit one
in the snorkel piping before the throttle body or after the air filter box

interesting product must say
Hiclone come in different sizes
has an arrow for directional flow
spinning blades in a metal casing

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts