Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 RVR, imported from Japan.

I have been reading the other posts and have been on other sites and the problem we are having is the same as other posts. It appears that the transmission is in third gear and will not change. Other posts say that the transaxle is in safe mode. Which means the TCU is giving error codes. It also says I need OBD scanner or a multi meter to read the codes. It has also been suggested that I get the car coded so I get a readout of the errors.

My problem is that the car is in the Solomon Islands and is an import from Japan. I have just cleared it from customs and when I went to drive it away I knew something was funny. The company is reputable but since I didn't get a full mechanics check I have doubts about recourse since they are in Japan and I am in the Solomon Islands.

I can get parts from Australia if needed but I have to know which parts I need. Is there a starting point?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You need to find out what gear box it is i have a diesel rvr 96 and i have found out that the auto is from a magna all wheel drive. but best is to find out what gear box and ring auto servicing place in your area... u should be able to get it looked at as autos are all around the same inside, and a trained person will be able to look at it.

do you have a petrol or diesel..

and i am in brisbane OZ

thanks marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Honiara in the Solomon Islands. Finding a suitable mechanic will be fun. With the Christmas break upon us I might have to wait until next year. Mine is a petrol and there are no books in the vehicle. It will take time but I am sure things will work out. I looked at getting the software and hardware to diagnose and reset error codes but there is a bit of doubt about the right connectors etc. And of course price is of a concern.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in jamaica and I drive a 1998 RVR x2..I must say I used to had the same problem with the transmission stucked in 3rd gear..I used to just turn of the vehicle and restart and the problem is temporarly solved....I had a problem whith the computer box on the left fire wall..... went bad..the vehicle was not starting..It takes days to diagnose that the computer box was the problem..it was a sad time because in over five years the longest I ever go without driving my RVR was 18hours and that was time spent sleeping....Anyway i replace the computer box with a use one that cost me Approx. US$300 (Jamaican $18,000 at the time)...I av done this now over a year and it as also solved the problem with the transmission...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in St Lucia and drive a 1997 RVR and i changed my transmiaaion last year after it stopped on me on the road. I could not get a new one so i had to put a used one on. Now what is happening is after i climb some hills the transmission stays in 3rd gear.
i have put an oil cooler on the trany to help with the cooling but it still stays in third gear after a long run
Need some advice please. :57:

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
ajaijoshua

its called gearbox fail safe gearbox locks into one gear so you can drive it to a place of repair

first most likely cause for this

you need to replace the automatic transmissions computer

or have yours refurbished by an auto electrician

second cause
a electrical fault possibly solenoids inside the gearbox

third possible
if the transmission oil is brownish there could be other problems

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all. I've fixed this problem days ago. I've replaced the pulse sensors A and B and then restarted the TCM by unplugging the battery. Then its all good. It shifts from 1-2-3 but unfortunately no 4th gear. No matter how i press the overdrive button. Still no good. Any thoughts on this chain_rattle?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
well done by clearing the transmission fault by the battery disconnect method

if the problem keeps coming back you will probably need a new transmission computer

this was an interesting read

http://www.justanswer.com/car/3j4uu-1995-m...-connector.html

overdrive should not be on under 70 km/h or the over drive will burn out

typical symptom of loss of overdrive is the engine revs out when 4th is selected and no forward motion

a kick down band failure would show more gear changing symptoms

if yours is the 4wd version the automatic Automatic transmission is a (w4a32)

this is its repair manual http://www.atdsm.com/pdf/atoh3.pdf

to restore fourth gear the end clutch/overdrive section needs to be repaired (page 24 of the PDF top most assembly number 10 )

the gearbox should not need to be removed as the end clutch is at the outer side of the gearbox

the end clutch repair usually comes in a kit = 2 seals , friction and drive plates

a catalog showing the overdrive in exploded view D --its outer cover to undo to get to it in E
http://www.automaticchoice.es/Catalogo%20A...ogue/w4a-32.pdf

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi chain_rattle thanks for the very informative information.

Its not until Monday that i could get to my car, because its still in the shop. However, i've took out the end clutch in my old tranny and I probably have to swap this in to my new tranny as I still have to find a proper replacement part.

Also, I've bought a OBD2 scanner (ELM327 bluetooth) to scan some fault codes, if ever, but I'm still doubtful if this could detect the ECU/TCM. hehe Fingers crossed!

Any thoughts on this? would this probably fix the problem? Or have i lost the 4th gear?

No issues shifting 1 through 3 though. So i guess its not probably the TCM that broke.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
xrxaa01 has found the rvr /space runner repair manual now in the pinned section if you are keen
http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t76514-fr...pair-manual.htm

4th gear loss - overdrive end clutch problem -

go for the swap over the entire end clutch assembly from the old spare transmission

the difficult part is lining up the teeth on both the friction and drive plates of the end clutch hub

all have to line up so the cog fits flush togeather in to refit the whole lot back into the cover

post back if you run into problems

diagnostics

Mitsubishis around 1992 on use a different obd2 mutts 1 and 2 systems

flashing dash warning light or an LED test lamp to earth two digit numbers gives you the fault

http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t72106-mu...fault-codes.htm

or a mutt
should be a P and numbers after each fault code some are mitsubishi specific

http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t72066-obd2-codes.htm

I only know of ELM327 diagnostics through my work on fords --- a small box that plugs direct into the diagnostic port

if you can get the elm to work and diagnose a RVR let us all know

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah I've also looked and read and read through various manuals especially the AT. Studied it and fortunately, I've understood how the AT work (as for the electrical connections though) HAHA! :blush-anim-cl:

I've also found the OBD2 socket at the right side of the car. I guess its a 16 pin socket. I'll let you know if the OBD2 works tomorrow (right now its like 10:35pm; been looking through several repair manuals)..!

I'll also put in the spare end clutch pack tomorrow.!!!!

I'll post my findings as soon as I'll get back.

Im really thankful for the FSMs chain_rattle!

·
Registered
30 Posts
i finally got 4th gear. After I removed my current end clutch, I've noticed that it was kinda different from my original tranny. The "pressure pate" was kinda bent inwards while the old one was straight and It was missing one clutch plate. The original had 4 clutch plate but the new had 3. I guess that was my problem all along. No wonder it was not shifting to 4th....

I've also noticed that I had some lag time when I engage D from N,R or P. any thoughts on this?

Also, I've tried the ELM327 Bluetooth but I guess it didn't worked. Although I've successfully connected my android phone to the Bluetooth device, it failed connecting to the ECU. Was the device not compatible with the ECU? (Probably......)

Anyhow.... After a days work. Its good to have a cold beeer right beside you. hahah

Cheeeers!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts