Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all Lancer fans or afficionados, or experts

i have a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback which i adore, it takes us everywhere in delight - my dog loves to chew the trunk/boot -- it runs great for my needs, and i enjoy it quite a bit

but the fan (i believe) is running a lot, it makes that noise as if trying to cool the car down, way more than necessary, it has increased over the past months
the temp gauge is normal,
radiator has enough water
nothing else seem to be the matter
i am not a car expert at all, am a virologist of all things, so am perplexed, and before i take it to a shop wanted to know of any known fan/computer malfunctions linked to the fan and the model

my boyfriend says they wont see it at the shop and it will cost us money for nothing

another question, where can i find the technical manual for this car telling me what Preventive Maintenance schedule i should follow

thanks a lot for any help or information you may want to share with us

in san francisco, the whacko family

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
:00000732:

I try not to diagnose car problems over the internet, and I'm not a mechanic. If it were my car I would probably check the thermostat.

The best bet is to take it to a mechanic. A good mechanic will be honest with you and not rip you off. There may be a diagnosis fee, which is fair because time is money. It should be more than a half hour.

As far as preventative maintenance is concerned, the owner's manual comes with a maintenance manual. If you don't plan on doing the maintenance yourself, this will suffice.

If you plan to do your own maintenance, get a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot M for your time and attention on my question

i wanted to check whether or not there was a known defect with that model --

have a great day

Xandra

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wifes 2004 Lancer Ralliart has the same symptoms, the fan randomly turns on for a few seconds when its really cold out.

Would this alldata site show pictures/diagrams of where the thermostat is? We too would like to avoid a mechanic so I figure it couldn't hurt to replace a few simple parts to start with..

Are both the Thermostat and the Coolant Temperature Sensor used to control the fan?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Xandra,

I just had this same problem on my '04 Sportback LS. The fan would come on more often than it should (before the engine got hot). I took it to the dealership (Mitsubishi of Serramonte). They told me it was the cooling fan control unit and replaced it under warranty. I asked if this was a normal problem for the lancer and was told that eariler models were recalled to have this fixed.

I recommend you go to (at least call) Mitsubishi (unpaid endorsement of dealership) and ask about getting it fixed under warranty.

I've experienced no other problems with my sportback. What's been your experience? Where do you currently get it serviced?

Good luck and let us know how that turns out for you.

Frank :thumbsup:

P.S. My dog prefers to ride up front...jumps right over the back seat.

G

·
Usually, is due to the temperature Sensor switch, is the 1 only responsible to send signal to activate the power relay to on/off the fan to cool down the radiator. The temperature sensor switch is actually a pin made of copper, the theory of this pin is simply contact with the radiator water, when the water temperature rise up, the copper sensor expand and made internal current connect and send signal (-12v) to the power relay and activate the fan, once the water temperature has go lower the copper sensor contract, internal connection disconnect and signal cut off, fan off. so, it is very likely the copper sensor expand n contraction is not function accurate, that is why it take longer time to disconnect current for the fan to cut off.

Power relay. in some circumstance, inside relay coil jam and cause undiscontact of current. but is also quit unlikely.

thermostater. This device is actually a valve install inside 1 part of the water vent. the the main function of this device is to help build temperatue during winter. engine usually need to heat up to reduce piston friction. so is the same paincipal apply, thermostarter were block radiator water for circulation before the temperature build up, and it were expand for radiator water to circulation after the temperature has build up. (Heat expand, cool contration) no current apply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts