Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to install an intake kit on my car and am not sure how to install something as simple as an intake kit because I dont know what to do with the MAF sensor.. Is there something that can be purchased to ensure that the sensor is still attached to the intake? I dont want to install the intake and have to take out the MAF sensor, b/c I dont know what would happen if I were to take out the MAF sensor in the first place. Any suggestions/ or how to's would be appreciated!
Thanks....
Dave

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Originally posted by 4g93myRAGE@Jan 27 2008, 02:07 PM
I am wanting to install an intake kit on my car and am not sure how to install something as simple as an intake kit because I dont know what to do with the MAF sensor.. Is there something that can be purchased to ensure that the sensor is still attached to the intake? I dont want to install the intake and have to take out the MAF sensor, b/c I dont know what would happen if I were to take out the MAF sensor in the first place. Any suggestions/ or how to's would be appreciated!
Thanks....
Dave
[snapback]137525[/snapback]​
If the kit is for your car specifically, it'll come with a maf adapter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey Dave,
i just installed an intake on my car just a few mins ago haha and i just left the maf sensor off. youll need to step up the idleing a little bit because the car is reading no o2 but it is getting it ( and a lot more bc the intake thus step the idle up ) hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by davey123@Mar 14 2008, 04:31 PM
hey Dave,
i just installed an intake on my car just a few mins ago haha and i just left the maf sensor off. youll need to step up the idleing a little bit because the car is reading no o2 but it is getting it ( and a lot more bc the intake thus step the idle up ) hope this helps.
[snapback]149721[/snapback]​
Actually, if you didnt hook the MAF sensor back up, than you will end up having problems. I have installed an intake before, just never on a mirage. And from what I understand, if you dont put the MAF sensor back on, you can seriously damage your engine. But, for some reason... the 1.5L engines can run the aftermarket intakes without the MAF sensor for some reason. Regardless, I have a 1.8 Liter 4G93 sohc N/A, so it is imperative that I leave the MAF sensor on. I actually ordered a MAF adapter online and went ahead and got a Ractive (Toucan Ind.) intake kit, and it came with a filter that actually hooks directly up to the MAF sensor. But, I ended up installing the MAF adapter straight to the OEM intake tube for now with a K&N filter for now. And, I am going to just leave it like that until I can get an HKS filter that I really want to use until I can fabricate my own CAI system. But, from what I understand you shouldn't have to tune up your idle at all, you simply unplug the battery for about 15 minutes prior to install, (you should remove the battery for more room to work anyway...) that way your ECU "resets" and when you crank the car up after installing the new filter/intake the MAF sensor will read the amount of air coming in and be set for that amount of air intake. So then you should be running perfectly.

And thanks Rob for the info on the MAF adapter... I have seen them before at the auto parts stores, but I could never find one specifically made for the Mirage. So I just bought one online.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
a whole lot of wow, you can't feel your car sucking?

i was working on my car once and go so involved and distracted i forgot to plug the MAS electrical plug back in and thought my car was going to blow up.

deffinitly don't leave your MAS/MAF disconnected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts