Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow kiwis (and anyone from other countries with same car). I am trying to find out if anyone else with my car has noticed these problems and have found ways to fix them or if anyone else has problems that I havn't listed to see if the rest of us can fix.

I've had my VRG Galant for about 8 months and have noticed a few things right from day one, And I've seen plenty of VRG Galants around and was hoping some of those owners visit here. Trying to figure out if it's just my car or a GDI thing.

1. When cruising at any speed (use 60km/h @ 1500-2000rpms as an eg), I have noticed that the car will start slowing down even if you keep the RPMs exactly the same and having to rev it faster to pick the speed up again, Feels like it gets stuck.

2. The gears seem to "lag" and I have to manually change it from 2 to 3, more so when going up steep hills, but I notice it sometimes on open road (mainly from accelerating from idle).

3. At the moment I'm also having a problem with it "spluttering" after driving around at peak operating temperature for extended periods of time, also mainly when accelerating from idle, once it hits 4th gear and I keep at 55-60km/h it goes fine. (Diagnosed as problem with No.4 Coil, replaced, and it still does it).

Also if anyone in the Auckland area could recommend me a good mechanic that knows VRGs well it would be appreciated, The ones I've gone too just say it's the carbon in our fuel, but I've been using Biofuel.

Things I've done, Combustion Chamber Clean, Transmission Flush, Spark Plugs are fine (platinums).

I'm at a loss, never had this much trouble with my 89 mazda familia <_<

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, i have owned a 1999 VRG for 5 years and hav noted similar problems and many more. The answer to your question is: since GDI engines are high compression engines with a compression ratio of 12, they need high quality high octane fuel to operate at their best. i dont recomend bio fuels in high compression engines. What i use is a product called Turbo 108 octane boost and i only use shell V power gasoline. also use 10-40 oil not 10-30 it'll burn that oil too quickly. The transmission resitates to change gear mostly to down shift sometimes its due to bad ATF fluid which u should check but its mostly due to the invecs II computerized shifting. The car gets used to ur driving style. what u can do is disconect ur battery then reconect it. And drive ur car giving it full throtle and ease of for shifts come to complete stops and floor the pedal when moving off again. this makes the shiftpattern gear down when ever u slow down and go into first gear when driving really slow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a non vrg 1997 gaalant the transmission downshifts to second whenever i go down a steep(ish) hill, whats the issue with that

Also whats the difference between my 1997 galant (non vrg) and a vrg?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts