Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT. V-6 [6G72].
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my 2001 Spyder GT back in service last month. It has been down since 2018. Some issues with it's emissions was keeping it from passing smog inspection that is required here in California USA. Found the problem myself after 2 different garages had a go at it. EGR control issues. Almost ready for summer. :cool:(y)...J.D.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Also replaced the two vacuum parts that control the EGR. I found these to be the REAL culprit. This is the second time in 17 years there has been an issue with the EGR controls. ...J.D.
Camera accessory Automotive lighting Water Cameras & optics Electronic device

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I came up with a way to clean the EGR ports on my 3.0 V-6. I removed the EGR valve from the rear cylinder head. I then made up a vacuum hose that I connected to a can of carburator cleaner. I put the tube down the ports and sprayed the carburetor cleaner in and let it soak for a bit. I then attached my air compressor blow gun where the can of cleaner was and blew a lot of air through the ports. I repeated this procedure twice just to be sure. Put the EGR back on and it works.
Here is a picture of the "tool" I set up for this. ...J.D.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior String instrument Steering wheel

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the Spyder out for a shakedown run this weekend. We did 83 miles of twisty backroads in the mountains up to my vacation home and back. Engine and chassis are running flawless. Only complaint is I need to adjust the headlights. I had installed new headlight assemblies and LED bulbs. They are plenty bright but WAY out of alignment. Coming home after dark was annoying. There is always something to do. ...J.D.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts