Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 mitsubishi magna, battery light came on intermittently one day and a few months later the car died mid drive, battery completely dead. i got a jump start which lasted about a minute until the car died again. purchased new battery which got me home. battery showing 12.43v which drops to 11.98v when idling. getting 11.95v from alternator (testing from alternator B post and housing, also from battery neg to alternator B post). seems to be no AC leakage. fuses all good. wiring seems all good. voltage to alternator from battery is correct (connector tested). is the alternator just producing low voltage because the alternator is faulty? i should mention it is absolutely covered in oil from an oil leak, wiring is dirty but working, could oil inside the alternator be the cause?

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
535 Posts
Yes oil is likely the cause of failure, they can cope with water but not oil. You need to fix the oil leak and either get alternator repaired or replaced

Reactions: tjmagnaRR

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also suggest looking at the brushes. A mate of mine with a 300e Mercedes had a flat battery and the nrma quoted him $600 to replace the alternator. I simply took the Bosch number off the alternator and rang repco who had a brush set in stock for $25. One Phillips head screw held them in so it was literally a 2 minute job and the alternator was as good as new. The only things to go wrong in alternator are brushes, diodes/regulator and if noisy the little sealed bearings. Everything else is pretty much bomb proof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts