Mitsubishi Forums banner

ASX 1.8 DI-D 2011 sudden turbo failure - any ideas?

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ashyt16 
#1 ·
Hi guys, can anyone shed any light on this?
Today suffered Turbo charger failure.
Set off from work and heard this weird noise like an electric motor coming from the front.
Got out on the road and it was really loud and no power when putting the foot down.

Straight away I new this was probably turbo related. I thought maybe intake hose or boost hose had come off.
pulled over and checked but nothing untoward.
however turbo was making a racket, sounded real loud when revved and a bit rattly.
managed to limp to my mothers house and pulled the intake hose off. Some oil spilled out and upon checking the compressor it had loads of play, so probably what the rattle was.
However seemed to still spin, but made absolutely no boost.

Gonna replace the turbo, but I'm worried about the reason for the failure?
it was driving perfectly fine going to work(no power loss or noise, no smoke) , but failed as soon as I set off back home.

I believe the turbo is VNT. Any ideas of what to check to ascertain its reason for failure?

The only thing I can thing of is that I should have changed the oil at 9k, but have let it run to 12k. The oil is Fully synth low saps.
I do almost all stress free motorway miles 5 days a week, 100 miles a day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Make sure you have good oil supply to turbo before fitting new one. It could be messy, but loosen oil supply fitting on turbo and get someone to start engine, whilst you look for oil coming from pipe. It will spray out and go everywhere, but rather that then fit new turbo and run it dry because of oil feed failure.

#3 ·
Also beware of oil in intercooler and pipes. When you get boost again the oil in the system could get blown into the inlet manifold and cause uncontrolled accelleration. if pipes are really oily then consider removing intercooler and draining oil out and giving it a pressure wash. It must be free of oil and water before running the engine though

#4 ·
Some good advice there and will take that on board. Dont think I've lost that much oil no smoke was apparent from the exhaust. Which is why I'm totally stumped as to the sudden failure from turning off the engine with no signs of an issue to sudden failure within seconds of starting the car?
Even a turbo with a blocked oil line would probably last a few minutes with mild boost.

Looking at rebuilt turbos, it seems they can be had upwards of £280 on an exchange basis.
However I'm not sure if they are rebuilding the turbo or just swapping the cartridge. The latter I guess due to it being VNT turbo, but then this worries me about the parts used. I have asked the turbo rebuilder and they say they use Mellet and Kode turbo parts. Mellet seem to have a reasonable reputation, but not sure about Kode?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.