Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed sub woofer box in my galant. They were able to get the signal by using a hi/lo which was connected off one of the existing speaker lines to pick up the signal. My problem with this is that since my amp is not getting a direct signal from my radio it doesnt shut off whenever i shut off the radio. Instead, if I turn the power off on the radio i hear a loud thump noise. I have the same problem if i turn off the car. The way that i got around this was by putting a switch in the amp's power that way i can turn it off whenever i need to without hearing that annoying loud noise. The guys at the audio shop told me that they didnt know any other way around that. I was wondering if anybody else in here had the same problem? Or did anybody in here find a way around this???

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you mean they took a speaker wire from an old speaker and used that wire as the audio source for the amp? Is the stereo in the dash factory? The popping you are hearing is refered to as "turn-on" pop. But it does happen when you turn it off too and often whenever you suddenly cut the sound from it such as changing songs on a cd. If it is an aftermarket deck, it has RCA jacks in the back which is what should've been used for the audio source for the amp. On aftermarket indash stereos there are amp turn on wires that turn the amp on and off when the dash unit is turned on and off. I would not take it back to them. Using speaker wires is not the correct way or even a quick way to do it. The amp has to have its own direct audio signal from the dash unit. Here is a layout of a typical audio system. THE CORRECT WAY. It's not seeming to attach the file. Give me your email address and i will send you the picture. Also if you (or anyone reading this) has any questions on any subject of car audio and/or the 420A Non turbo eclipse, I have done alot of research on the 420A and have a turbo build in progress. Also built, wired, installed, my entire stereo battery to the trunk. I'll get some pics on here. It was no walk in the park with just 2 subs and an amp. Feel free to email me. [email protected] or on here

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this same problem to, but I upgraded my amp. I used the same wires the pros installed, but just transfered them to the new amp, and I havn't had any problems! The best sugestion that I could give is to check to make sure the signal wire is all the way connected to the amp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its off the stock deck...... i was incoreect about the speaker wire things it was a hi/lo that they used.... but for some reason the poppin continues and this is my second amp... i once had a strong amp and then i changed it over for a smaller one but it still pops.... maybe if i get a better brand amp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the stock mitsubishi deck.... not the infinity one..... and the brand on my amp is Sherwood

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never heard of that brand before. Usually thats not a good thing. I'll do some research on it. What is the model number on the amp?SCX-1000?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well... i got rid of the amp... now im waitin to see if i can find a good deal on a better brand amp

·
Registered
16 Posts
What kind of subs do you have? Do you have the instructions for the subs or the boxes they were packaged in? If not, what does it say on the face of the sub (usually the brand name is there sometimes more). If you can get me the specs on the subs (rms handling power, max or peak handling power, and ohm) I will match some amps up to the power and ohm load for you and send some links to my suggestions. What is your max price you are willing to pay?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts