Mitsubishi Forums banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Leadfoot.
I finally found this.
I was just about to start reading and reprogramming the ROM when BOOM the site disappeared...
Re your alternator: It sounds like the regulator is dead. The cost about $80 on ebay. I put a new one in mine, easy to do.
Has WytWun shown up?
Regards.

·
Super Moderator
2004 TL Magna(aka Diamante) AWD, 6g75 engine, F5A51 automatic trans.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hi Gyro,

No WytWun yet.

I am undecided about the regulator.

If I replace it and it does not fix it then I will need to buy the complete alternator and regulator.

Over the weekend I will think about it.

Meanwhile, the online suppliers I have tried are not replying, or using useless robots to respond.

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Hello Leadfoot.
I finally found this.
I was just about to start reading and reprogramming the ROM when BOOM the site disappeared...
Re your alternator: It sounds like the regulator is dead. The cost about $80 on ebay. I put a new one in mine, easy to do.
Has WytWun shown up?
Regards.
I decided to take your advice and order just the regulator.

The price including postage is reasonable - $65.

I went with this supplier because his listing is more descriptive than most.

It was specific in stating that it covered the "Bosch RE 72" regulator.

RE72 is clearly shown on the image that I posted above.

He also took telephone calls, whereas others will not.

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Here is a thread about alternators/regulators on the old AMC forum from 2013:

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/uphrio/AMC_Technical_Forums_20160506/www.aussiemagna.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-102187.html

Before last night I would be unlikely to have found it.

PROGRESS.

Thanks "fiveseven".

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Here is a 2019 thread about Magna alternators from this forum:

It describes oil on the alternator, which I do to a certain degree, as a cause of failure.

I am 50/50 if just replacing the voltage regulator will fix the problem, but I am just taking a "punt".

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is Mal, Madmagna

Yes, in November last year my godaddy acct holding the Aussiemagna forum as well as my business pages and email accounts were hacked, most files were deleted from the servers at godaddy by our Web developer as there was too much risk of files being infected.

At the time I contacted godaddy to have back ups restored however was advised as of the start of 2021 they no longer hold back ups

Si.ply put, there is nothing I can do

For most who appreciate the fact that for 16 years I have paid out of my own pocket for the hosting and upkeep I thank you, for those like z80 andTufftr who are too spinless to throw allogations at me in person you have been told in the past many times where you can go !!

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
This is Mal, Madmagna

Yes, in November last year my godaddy acct holding the Aussiemagna forum as well as my business pages and email accounts were hacked, most files were deleted from the servers at godaddy by our Web developer as there was too much risk of files being infected.

At the time I contacted godaddy to have back ups restored however was advised as of the start of 2021 they no longer hold back ups

Si.ply put, there is nothing I can do

For most who appreciate the fact that for 16 years I have paid out of my own pocket for the hosting and upkeep I thank you, for those like z80 andTufftr who are too spinless to throw allogations at me in person you have been told in the past many times where you can go !!
Now that I know you are still around, I need to order an Alternator to suit TL Magna, but your Ebay store says it is unavailable until 31 March.

Can you help me before this date please?

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
You should have reg by now Leadfoot...
Hi Gyro,

Yes, it arrived.

I CAN'T GET THE SCREWS UNDONE.....despite much effort, and using a number of different P/H screwdrivers and/or 1/4" drive ratchet & bits.

I tried over a number of days.

Access is difficult.

My brother suggested that the screws are "glued".....but I said "surely not".

All I seem to be doing is progressively "rounding" or damaging the P/H screw.

I tried the connections to the alternator.....both "clean as", and there just doesn't seem to be enough oil anywhere from the rocker gasket leak(will fix this week) to cause a problem to the alternator.

Brand new drive belts were fitted 20,000km ago when the 380 engine conversion was done.

They seem well adjusted, with no strange noises.

The alternator ITSELF was brand new genuine at the time of the 380 conversion.

But the warning light still glows after starting.

So I ordered a new genuine Bosch alternator:

It has "Bosch" cast into the casing, but the regulator has no identifiers on it.

The new box with clear Bosch print says "Taiwan".....at least that is better than saying ".....China"

The alternator currently in the car was a "Bosch" casting, and the regulator had a "Bosch" "made in Taiwan" mark on it - see post #80.

I can't get the regulator screws undone on this one either, even though it is out of the car.

SIGH!

Due to my health problems(getting underneath the car), I am going to leave it to the local small town mechanic to swap the complete alternator......quote "1 hour labour", which is quite reasonable.

The problem is when I made the booking late last week he is booked out solid until Friday 14 April.....SIGH!

I just can't understand why the regulator screws on both the current and recently delivered alternators absolutely refuse to be undone with regular hand tools.

I could use Vise Grips on the alternator out of the car to "crack" the screws loose, but the one in the car does not allow enough clearance with dipstick, exhaust manifolds, radiator fans etc. in the way.

The last time I changed a regulator was on my old Nissan R31 Skyline about 10 years ago.

Absolutely no problems.

In the meantime, I have been boosting the battery every few days to get to the shops which are 5km away, or relying on home delivery of groceries/medication.

I don't dare drive any further than this/use headlights otherwise I risk the battery going flat and being stranded even though I have just purchased a small booster pack just in case.

Everywhere else I need to drive is at least 15km away.....too far for a return trip uncharged.

I can't go and see my mother in Sydney on her 98th birthday which is on 11 April.....until the alternator is fixed.

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·

·
Super Moderator
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Very kind, thanks Leadfoot6. More on the way; just need to find time to edit them.

Nice forum here, and easy to attach photos. I can see this becoming a great help and resource.
I was quite frantic when I realised AMC had died.

Mitsubishi-Forums gives me encouragement that all Magna enthusiasts will be able to help each other keep their cars on the road.

EDIT: This is post #100 of the AussieMagna sub-forum.

HOORAY! 😊

THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts