Mitsubishi Forums banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

· Super Moderator
2004 TL Magna(aka Diamante) AWD, 6g75 engine, F5A51 automatic trans.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
My new alternator was fitted today.

1 hour for labour = $120 and $290 for the genuine Bosch alternator(+ $65 for the regulator that I could not fit).

Mechanic confirms 14.7 volts.

All good, and no "idiot" light showing.

Plus $100 for the repair to the bonnet hinges a month ago.

I almost forgot the $175 for the Century Ultra High Performance battery that I purchased right at the beginning of this whole saga because my original was 4 years old and what I put my "chips" on to be the cause of all this headache.

It probably was not the battery causing the problem, but the alternator/regulator.

As the alternator light took a month to start showing from first flat battery, it was unlikely that it WASN'T the battery.

Too late now.

For the first time today since 16 February I have a car that I can properly drive again.

Fingers crossed.

The only "upside" is that I have saved some, greatly inflated, petrol money in the meantime.

· Registered
11 Posts
Hi All.
Just registered here as I still have all my mitsubshi cars (4 of them, sigma, magna tp, magna ts, and a verada ks).
Was a frequent user of the old magna forum.

I was just using Dr Google to find some info on draining the fuel tank on the KS and found this site (and the archives of the old site).
The car isn't driven much and I wanted to replace the fuel (before it goes stale) with fresh fuel.
There doesn't seem to be a schrader valve on the fuel rail,just the pressure regulator with a fuel return hose.

Simple question, can I just run the fuel pump (via its test plug) and drain the fuel tank via the return hose outlet on the pressure regulator?

· Super Moderator
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
Welcome.

It is good to see former participants of the old site joining Mitsubishi-Forums.

My 1988 Australian made R31 Skyline wagon had a fuel tank drain plug, but my 1990 model did not.

I am wondering if the 1991-1996 TR/TS Magna fuel tank might have a drain plug?

As far as the fuel pump goes, I am not wise enough to help with that, other than thinking that most fuel pump setups do not like to run with the engine ignition off, as a safety measure to prevent fuel still pumping if the car is involved in a crash.

AFAIK, most ECU's are designed to prevent fuel pumping in such or similar circumstances.

Possibly, the TR/TS design is different, but I just don't know.

· Registered
11 Posts
Yes I miss the Magna forum especially the activity before the face book days.

Unfortunately, the TS/KS doesn't have a drain plug on the fuel tank and the fuel pump assembly is too difficult to access (being at the back of the fuel tank and without access cover in the floor pan).
And also the fuel tank filler end has an anti syphon compartment in the fuel tank.

The KS does have a fuel pump test plug in the engine bay that you can hook up to battery +ve, this will run the fuel pump independently of the ignition system.
I just don't know how the fuel system behaves wrt the fuel regulator when you run the fuel pump continuously this way.
I presume without ignition the injectors are static and once the pressure in the fuel rail builds up the fuel regulator will just bypass the fuel pumped into the fuel return line.
This requires the fuel regulator to work at normal atmospheric pressure rather than that at the air intake manifold.
If that is the case then I should be able to pump out a some old fuel and refresh whats left in the tank with fresh fuel.
The fuel in the tank has fuel stabiliser added to it but it has been some time and its time to refresh it all.

· Super Moderator
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Thanks for the information.

I hope you will be able to help others in the future with more TR/TS knowledge that I don't possess.

· Super Moderator
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Here is another thread recently about TR/TS fuel pumps.

· Registered
11 Posts
No mechanic myself - I completely ruined the fuel tank by not realizing that fuel not only goes stale but eventually completely degrades, coating everything inside the fuel tank with crystalline grains called asphaline (IIRC). Maybe the archive has some pictures of that.
These grains do not dissolve with any solvent period (I tried all sorts of things).
This simply happened because the fuel pump failed and I left the car in the garage for a very long time (10 + years) before I had time to look at it.
Anyway took several months before I found a wrecker with a second hand fuel tank.

In case the above poster is still pondering about access to the fuel pump - sorry only way is to drop the fuel tank.
There isn't much space to even unbolt the fuel assembly let alone space to lift the assembly out.
Removing the fuel tank isn't too hard though.

My TS that I obtained after I fixed the KS is in fact my spare parts car for the KS.
Given the price I payed for the fuel tank, the spare parts car could be very cost effective (just looks ugly in my front yard).

PS the above thread mentioned Mad Max was on TV - presume the movie - but there was a prolific poster on the old forum called Mad Max.

· Super Moderator
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
My 1990 Skyline that I got for free as a trade-in at the used car yard I worked in, sat around in the driveway for 5 years whilst my 1988 Skyline was still driving OK, and whilst I was very slowly bringing the 1990 model up to scratch.

The fuel tank underwent the same degradation that you described due to not having much fuel in it for too many years.

It caused clogged injectors, which I was able to remove/replace and have professionally overhauled for $60 mates rates.

I ended up swapping the tank from the 1988 model to the later model, bringing with it the drain plug I referred to earlier.

It was a somewhat difficult job to do working off the ground without any help whatsoever.

Max was good assistance a lot of times, despite the arguments he had with Madmagna.

· Registered
11 Posts
IIRC Max was approaching 10,000 posts.
Occasionally Madmagna had no choice but to correct the input from Max, like his flywheel advice that could have been extremely dangerous.
With the KS standing idle for so long and with 100K on the clock, I replaced the timing belt before I even tried to fire it up.
Based on input from Max I made a tool to tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt (used the starter motor to undo it).
I built a wooden H frame with a central bolt to free anchor it to a trolley jack so that I could lower/raise the fuel tank - worked a treat.
All new experiences for me but it was fun.

Made a great friend (Ray Goodsell) who was into these old Magnas, so sad when he passed away.

· Super Moderator
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 · (Edited)
R.I.P. Ray.

a.k.a. "Magna Buff".

His commitment to provide automotive knowledge about TM/TP Magnas was unsurpassed.

· Registered
11 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested about emptying the fuel tank of the TS/KS magnas.

You can use the in tank fuel pump, by powering it directly via its test plug (in the engine bay), to pump the fuel out via the return hose connection on the pressure regulator.
I got about 70 litres / hour flow rate so it takes a bit of time.
When pumping you can hear a steady buzz coming from the pump and that changes when most of the fuel is out when it drags in some air (I stopped as soon as that happened).

So now the KS has fresh fuel again with stabilizer added.

· Registered
11 Posts
Anyone know where I can DL a PDF workshop manual for a magna TP?
The inner & outer CV boots have split (probably some time ago) and need to be replaced - my haynes manual seems to be missing quite a few steps involved with getting too the drive axle etc.
On this topic what is the opinion of stretch universal boots (have access to a air powered stretch tool).

· Super Moderator
350 Posts

· Super Moderator
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I have never needed to change CV's.

Almost all of the cars I have owned were rear wheel drive.

My AWD Magna is, well, AWD, and each of the 4 CV's have a relatively easy and so far long life.

But if I can help in any way, please ask.

· Registered
11 Posts
Well, things have gone a bit more pear shaped. Seems the high pressure steering hose is leaking and it with the tubing is one piece from pump to steering rack. No idea how to remove it as it ducks and weaves under other bits with no space to manouvre it out (bad arrangement).

101 - 120 of 128 Posts