Mitsubishi Forums banner

Automatic Doorlocks / Etacs Module Failed

13K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mukul 
#1 ·
I had a remote starter installed in my 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport aftermarket in December of 2004. Shortly after, my doorlocks started to act up. I finally took the vehicle back to where the starter was installed. They checked the wiring and fuses and found no problems. They showed me the spec sheet they use on this model vehicle for installations. Under warnings it notes: When doing doorlocks on these trucks do not cycle the doorlocks rapidly. This may cause the ETACS Module to fail and the doorlocks will not work properly. You must add diodes to the lock and unlock wires to prevent damage to ETACS. Make sure you insert diodes with the striped side towards the unit.
They suggested I take the vehicle to the dealership as it was not a problem from the installation. I am almost certain that I may have caused the damage. Since the 'chirp' stopped working when I locked the door with the the keyless entry remote, I often hit the lock button multiple times (probably) fast while walking away from the vehicle just to be sure it locked.
* Can't lock the doors with the remote (only unlock)
* Can't unlock the doors from the inside (only manual or with remote)
* When starting the car with the remote starter, the doors automatically unlock
* Warning sound for lights on when turning off the engine does not work
* Warning sound for key in ignition when car is off and door is open does not work
Has any one heard of this? What does it take to replace the ETACS? Help!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
the etacs is very easy to replace, but I would frankly recommend removal of any aftermarket alarm or remote keyless add-ons you have first.
ive replaced many an Etacs unit strictly because of aftermarket equipment. Ive never replaced one without aftermarket stuff wired in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.