Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Having troubles with my blower fan which starts very randomly. The problem is that the blower usually does not start immediately when the car starts (as it did before), but can take anywhere between 1-10 minutes to kick in, completely random. This is very annoying when its cold outside and you need to go to work in the morning.

Switching between full/low fan speed, or full cooling/full heat doesnt help. Sometimes I hear the blower fan relay click when I change fan speed but not always. Sometimes the fan can start and spin for a few seconds and then die, then start a few minutes later, but usually the fan works perfectly when it finally starts.

Yesterday I picked out the blower fan resistance, and quite alot of debri fell out of the socket. Strangely enough the fan began to spin after a while even when the resistance was not connected. Also tried to tap the fan when it was dead - I read that it can help if the fan does not work because of bad coal(?) (or something similar, do not remember), but there was no difference. When the fan spins there is no bad noises or anything.

The car in question, Mitsubishi Carisma 1.8 has 20 years on the neck and an climat control, which I guess makes it all a bit more complicated. Any idea what could be wrong? I guess I could try and buy a new blower motor, resistance and relay - But I rather find the faulty component than replace all three. The cost of those parts would also almost be equal to the value of the whole car, lol :p

·
Super Moderator
1,656 Posts
Disconnect blower motor, hook up volt meter. If getting consistant power means fan is toast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for your reply.

The blower doesnt get power all the time so probably not a faulty motor. When i measure voltage at the fan resistor i only get about 4.65 v when the blower doesnt spin, sounds a bit low?

I also experience that the fan starts earlier when its warm outside. Today I was troubleshooting in a warm garage and the fan starts after maybe a minuter. When minus degrees outside (celsius) the fan takes longer to kick in. Also, the fan seem to start faster when drivingthe car versus standing Still. Could the problem be an old battery? The battery is more than 10 years old... My theory is that the battery cant feed a current strong enough (cold makes the battery worse), and the generator will help the battery to achieve high enough voltage.

·
Super Moderator
1,656 Posts
The reason i said to disconnect the fan to test it is just because the fan isn't turning on doesn't mean it doesn't have power. If the fan is starting to bind, cease etc it can take more power than normal to get it to spin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem. It was the blower relay located on the driver side, to the upper left of the fusebox. Right next to it there is an identical relay that is for heating the rear window (which works for me). I switched that relay to the blower relay socket and voila - the fan starts together with the car every time now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts