Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bluetooth functionality in my '08 Lancer GTS died. The Mits dealer wants $70 just to hook up to diagnostics to find the problem. They won't even give me a ballpark figure as to how much the repair/replacement might be. I'm just considering getting a bluetooth earpiece as my solution, as it would be much cheaper than replacing/repairing.

Any other suggestions? Anyone have a similar experience. My sound system is the Rockford-Fosgate system with the 6-CD player and the sub in the trunk. Very nice sound system.

Thanks!

Bruce

PS--I'm no mechanic, so if you get technical, pretend you are trying to explain it to a 5th grader (which I may not be smarter than). :)

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
The diagnostic cost at a regular shop might be cheaper, not just the dealership can do stuff like that. Also don't go with an ear piece if your going to simply work around it especially if the only purpose is for in the car. I'd look for one of the ones that clip to the sun visor instead.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Have you paired in the past or attempted to pair more than one device? the system may be locked out to pairing by other locked devices. You need to go into system settings , device pairing , iif its locked , paired or enabled devices need to be cleared, if bluetooth connectivity has been disabled ,enable

Have you changed the device you are attempting to pair? or is it the same? Is the bluetooth acknowledgement turned on on the device your using?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KiT TeUnG 2549 @ Mar 19 2014, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have you paired in the past or attempted to pair more than one device? the system may be locked out to pairing by other locked devices. You need to go into system settings , device pairing , iif its locked , paired or enabled devices need to be cleared, if bluetooth connectivity has been disabled ,enable

Have you changed the device you are attempting to pair? or is it the same? Is the bluetooth acknowledgement turned on on the device your using?[/b]
My phone has not changed recently. The Bluetooth connectivity has worked just fine since I bought the car new. Only about a month ago did it quit. Prior to that it would occasionally "forget" that it was paired to my phone and I'd have to delete the device and re-pair. I will have to go into the setup to see if I have accidentally disabled Bluetooth connectivity.

Bruce

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chain rattle @ Mar 19 2014, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
are you able to source a second hand Rockford audio headunit ... close to you

a a bluetooth earpiece just won,t be umm nice ... without the sub in the trunk[/b]
I was hoping to avoid replacing the audio unit.

The earpiece thought was merely to replace the phone aspect of the connectivity. This Bluetooth system does not let me play music through it. That I use the AUX connection for and that still works just fine, as do the radio and CD player.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
there is likely an issue with the bluetooth HFM on the radio. There is a way to check it but only if your a little tech savvy.
The only preliminary thing you can check is to make sure the connection is tight on the HFM, just in case it is loose and intermittently cutting out. The HFM is located behind and below the radio. To access it you will need a flat edge screw driver and a philips screw driver.

With the flat edge screw driver, gently pry at the bottom of the vents on either side of the radio; they will snap out of the dash.
You will see two philips screws behind the vents holding the radio faceplate on. Remove these screws and pop the face plate off the radio/dash.

You will now see four philips screws holding the radio in; remove them and you can slide the radio out, removing the electrical connectors from the back.
Looking in the opening you just created, the HFM will be directly below the radio area, mounted horizontally. It is roughly 4" square.

Once you have access to the HFM, check the connection on it, and remove/reinstall if necessary. Compare your condition afterward.
If there is no change in the condition you will be looking at a replacement HFM. Theoretically the buttons could go bad on the wheel, but I have not seen one single instance of this, whereas I change out HFM's for this problem about once every month or two.... not super common, but certainly a pattern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KiT,

Thanks for the info! I'll check that out (or rather, have a tech savvy friend check it out).

I should clarify that the buttons on my steering wheel work just fine. I can get the attention of the hands free system, can go into pairing options and all that, but no phone can find the system via bluetooth.

Does that affect your recommendation at all? Thanks!

Bruce

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same Rockford-Fosgate system with the 6-CD player on my Lancer 08 GTS edition. Just this past week my Bluetooth in the car no longer works. The buttons on the steering wheel for the bluetooth control light up but when I press the button to start the prompt for the t the bluetooth device nothing happens. Also my phone normally auto connetcs with the car but it doesn't find it the connection anymore. As I am reading through I wonder if it is any type of loose wiring connection. I was trying to see if anything blew out since I had that occur with my cigarette lighter socket but couldn't find anything. Anyone have ideas on ballpark figures as to how much it would be to repair at a dealer? I'm not much tech savvy when it comes to cars but have managed to do a bit of my own with repairing/fixing some items (ie back lights)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts