Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

im planning on buying a full cat back exhaust from magnaflow and /or aem cai. im just wondering if they go hand in hand.

another thing:
i read that high flow performance cat back gives you a better fuel economy - whats your take on that?

thanks in advance!

josel

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The exhaust and intake go hand-in-hand.

The cat won't give you a noticeable gain (horsepower or mileage).

Also, do you have a automatic or manual transmission. You need to have a manual tranny to install the CAI.

:00000732:

·
Registered
27 Posts
from what other people have told me if you plan on turboing your car than skip out on the intake because you have to replace it when you get your turbo system

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Originally posted by wantsanevo7@Jan 14 2008, 11:38 AM
from what other people have told me if you plan on turboing your car than skip out on the intake because you have to replace it when you get your turbo system
[snapback]134361[/snapback]​
He doesn't mention that he's going to install a turbo. Nevertheless, if you are going to install a turbo down the road, don't bother with a CAI or SRI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick responses.

here is what i have:

- 06 lancer oz
- 5 speed
- fully stock
- 31xxx kms

i am not planning to turbo it in the future but thanks for the info!

i was just down at our local muffler store. i asked for a custom cat back exhaust system for a better fuel economy. he said that my lancer has such low mileage and he wouldnt suggest to go ahead with the new exhaust system. what he could do is replace the factory muffler with a bigger/fatter one and according to him, it should give me about 3-5% improvement in mileage. he quoted me $220 for everything that i need including labour. what do you think?

since im new to this community, introducing myself might be a good idea to get good inputs from you guys: i love cars, especially my own lancer. hahaha im more on the show/economy side of modding. some of my future plans are brighter lights (so i can see better), intake and exhaust system (to improve mileage), tein suspension (maybe in the summer, not top priority), etc... im a full time student and have a part time job which means im under some kind of budget. soo yeah!

my budget on a full cat back is $450-500 CAD installed - a local magnaflow dealer quoted me for part number magnaflow around that price..

im looking at this aem cai (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150204852481) on ebay for my intake.

i should probably stop now because its getting too wordy.. i dont want to bore you guys with too much info anyway..

thanks in advance!!!

ps: mfalik! - i think im looking at the same cat that you have right now on your lancer - are they?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by mfalik@Jan 14 2008, 05:51 AM
The exhaust and intake go hand-in-hand. 

The cat won't give you a noticeable gain (horsepower or mileage). 

Also, do you have a automatic or manual transmission.  You need to have a manual tranny to install the CAI. 

:00000732:
[snapback]134346[/snapback]​

heyyy thanks for the welcome icon! :57:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Originally posted by lanceroz604@Jan 14 2008, 08:37 PM
ps: mfalik! - i think im looking at the same cat that you have right now on your lancer - are they?
[snapback]134473[/snapback]​
My cat back is pretty much identical to the magnaflow cat back. I have a magnaflow muffler and resonator, but the piping was done by a muffler shop. My Lancer is an 05, and magnaflow only sells one for the 02-03 Lancer. I called Magnaflow and they said that it won't fit on the 04-06 Lancer (but I think they probably didn't check).

$250 for a muffler with installations seems rather expensive. Heck, you can get an axle back muffler and tailpipe for less than that. I know Road Race Motorsports sells one.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts