Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my mother in-laws cam belt on her petrol 1.8 litre 95 RVR sometime this summer as she is about 10k overdue. For those that have done this task is it a straight forward job (like no special tools required) and what else do you recommend I replace while I'm at it (ie bearings, seals, water pump, etc) ?

Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Benckj, it pays to renew the timing belt, along with the balance shaft belt, any belt tensioner bearings and the water pump, as if any of these go bad soon after the belt change, you will kick yourself. Give Repco or Supercheap a call, and they will advise all the parts to replace, and give you a price at the same time.
I dont think you will need any special tools, but make sure you have everything lined up and dont let the cranckshaft move before you get it back together. Check out a couple of your local mechanics, they will have done this job on a few by now (try Brian Luff) Cheers Gerry

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gerry,

Thanks for that. I had my wife check with Luffy and found out that the previous owner had the belt changed at 93k. Not sure what else was done at this stage but I'm a little annoyed that the mechanic didn't put a sticker on the belt cover indicating that this work was done. I always thought this was standard practice.

Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Jim, Yeh it is annoying when they dont put a sticker on the cam cover, because it is a " Need to know" thing. I think the other parts tend to last untill the second belt change, so cross your fingers. Cheers Gerry

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Gerry. I'll just keep an eye (and ear) on it for the next couple thousand K's. It doesn't tend to do long trips so at the worst I would have to tow home and work on then. Think I'll change the anti freeze this summer and see how it looks. Often that will prevent thermostat or WP problems if you look after the fluid.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts