Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by iwishihadavr4@May 27 2007, 06:46 AM
True or false? Do Evo (2) camshafts increase power over standard VR4 camshafts?
[snapback]98550[/snapback]​

They do have a little bit more lift over the stock VR4 cams, as they are suited for more midrange and lowend power due to the heft of the car. The Evo cams work great when matched to a 16g Turbo. I have a set of Evo 8 cams that I am putting in my VR4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys,

i know this is a bit off topic........

but does anyone know the pros and cons of the mivec cam system over the aftermarket adjustable cam system?

this is a bit of a grey area for me, and id just like it clarified......

cheers,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by jimmy123@Feb 18 2008, 08:45 AM
hey guys,

i know this is a bit off topic........

but does anyone know the pros and cons of the mivec cam system over the aftermarket adjustable cam system?

this is a bit of a grey area for me, and id just like it clarified......

cheers,
[snapback]143138[/snapback]​

From what I know of the MIVEC, it is similar in operation to Honda's VTEC. It is adjustable up to 27 degrees, where the adjustable came gears only give about 4 degrees.

Best would be to check in the EVo forums. They would have a better idea.

G

·
this will be about the cam and MIVEC - Mitsubishi Innovative Variable Electronic Control!!!

As in a fact it is not like Honda's VTEC at all . Honda's VTEC is RPM Staged Phases. MIVEC runs through the entire powerband like Toyota's VVT-i but is more like their VVT-iL . MIVEC incorperates minus to positive cam degree phasing and also additional lift on the intake valve for better breating on NA models altho its used on turbo models also. at low rpms the degree of the cam is to a slight negative in degree with the MIVEC unit and those having extra lift like most of 1996 and later systems , and SOCH MIVEC 2001 and up. The lit mechanism is phased to add extra duration and lift to the valve to make it open wider and longer for more bottom end power and TQ , at midrange RPM the camshaft timing has been upped in substansial amount of positive degrees and the lift feature (if equipped ,SOCH MIVEC systems mainlly use this feature) is tonned down a little due to the RPM , at upper end RPM the degree is up to 45 degree advanced and the lift stage is mild to high . The MIVEC system on DOCH engines are always in effect 1500 rpm and higher as with SOCH MIVEC systems also and continually chage at upper end rpm band.

Depending on which EVO yu guys are talking about , 98 up they all used MIVEC in LM and LR and GSR models. as for older 4G63T Evolutions , the cams were not Much off frum GFalant VR-4 cams , though VR-4 cams as with teh Intake were designed for better bottom end and power thru the rpm band due to teh weight of teh vehicle. The Evo was more of Upper end power and mid range use because of its weight and vicious coupling set up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts