Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello. I just bought Mitsubishi Challenger four days ago from a private seller. Yesterday, the battery light, oil light, and fuel filter light all came on and the vehicle started to lose power, I also noticed the battery voltage meter drop from 14v+ to less than 12v. I called the RAC and the guy initially diagnosed a failed alternator belt (it was shredded) but the then noticed some plastic that had melted off of the timing belt cover which he said was sticking out and rubbing on the alternator belt, eventually sheering it. He looked very grave when he said that this probably meant a 'crank shaft pulley end float issue' which is a 'major fix' and probably means the car is a 'write off' and he said he hoped we hadn't paid too much for the truck. Obviously, this is pretty depressing to me as I just bought it. It makes no iffy noises and drives perfectly apart from this issue that's just happened - previous owner left us with the truck and actively encouraged us to take a long drive, test it out, "put her through her paces", etc.

Anyone had any experience of this and how to resolve? Have we just bought a complete duffer? :|

Hoping it's fixable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't bother trying to fix it I've done 6 times it's a **** money pit it'll seem fixed then boom all over again and stranded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts