Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to forums. But this problem has been kicking my butt, so it's time to ask questions. It's probably a simple issue, but can't figure it out yet. And I refuse to ever go to a dealer.

History,
1995 Mistubishi 3000GT, DOHC, Non Turbo, 80K miles so it was time for some maintenance.

Maintenance
Changed, timing belt, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, belts, etc. No problems. Lined up timing marks on the money. No problems. At least I'm 95% sure of the timing. The only thing I was slightly unsure of was the crankshaft markings. When finished, I cranked the engine over, no spark.

At first I thought I that the crankshaft position sensor wasn't close enough to the crank, but there isn't any adjustment to it. How do you test this sensor? Are there any other ignition system sensors I might have unknowingly disturbed?

Tried hooking up my OBD II reader, but it said it wouldn't link, "Link Error". Is it possible the Computer is bad? That would explain the no spark, but why would the computer go bad by just changing the timing belt and unplugging some sensors, with the battery removed? It shouldn't.... Right? Is there a way to test the computer? Any guidance would be really great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by travelindude@Oct 13 2007, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to forums.  But this problem has been kicking my butt, so it's time to ask questions.  It's probably a simple issue, but can't figure it out yet.  And I refuse to ever go to a dealer. 

History,
1995 Mistubishi 3000GT, DOHC, Non Turbo, 80K miles so it was time for some maintenance. 

Maintenance
Changed, timing belt, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, belts, etc.  No problems.  Lined up timing marks on the money.  No problems.  At least I'm 95% sure of the timing.  The only thing I was slightly unsure of was the crankshaft markings.  When finished, I cranked the engine over, no spark.

At first I thought I that the crankshaft position sensor wasn't close enough to the crank, but there isn't any adjustment to it.  How do you test this sensor?    Are there any other ignition system sensors I might have unknowingly disturbed?

Tried hooking up my OBD II reader, but it said it wouldn't link, "Link Error".  Is it possible the Computer is bad?  That would explain the no spark, but why would the computer go bad by just changing the timing belt and unplugging some sensors, with the battery removed?  It shouldn't.... Right?  Is there a way to test the computer?  Any guidance would be really great.
[snapback]115960[/snapback]​
If it ran fine before, you must have left something unplugged. No reason for the CPS to go bad if it was fine before. Are both the crank and cam sensor plugged in on the side of the timing covers? Is the coil pack and the PTU under the coil plugged in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, this one stumped me for a while until I looked at the old oil pump housing. It was something so simple and retarded. I had the crank position sensor flipped towards the timing cover instead of depressed down into the oil pump housing indentation. It's the little things!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (travelindude @ Oct 16 2007, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the advice, this one stumped me for a while until I looked at the old oil pump housing. It was something so simple and retarded. I had the crank position sensor flipped towards the timing cover instead of depressed down into the oil pump housing indentation. It's the little things!!![/b]
This sounds just like my problem, but I didn't take the crank position sensor off - I'm still stumped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts