Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice guide, unfortunately for me it was just a day too late. Yesterday was a nice day so I decided to tackle replacing the wires and plugs on my 2001 gt. I've never done it before, so all in all I'd say it went really smoothly. It took me about 4 hours total, most of it was spent figuring out how I wanted to go about removing the intake manifold. And the best part, it started and even ran just as smoothly as it did before. :p

My only suggestions to anyone unfamiliar with this task, give yourself plenty of time, and also refer to the service manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh to bad buddy,it helped me with it quite a bit,and everything went back together welll to.. LoL

G

·
these types of guides are great, but you better not lose it. see i have noticed that in any mechanic job you do, if you use a guide or a book of some sort you never really retain how to do it after one time of doing it. now as for me if i know what the problem is and what needs to be taken off i dive in head first unless i'm not sure if it is torque specific on tear down like your engine head is. some other things apply as well. but if i know its not i tear it down myself and clean and then inspect. if the job takes me longer than 4 hours to do the tear down, cleaning, and inspection. i refer to the manual to put it back together. but it teaches me how to do it again without a book if i need to do it again.

i can take out a old G1 eclipse gs motor and transmission by myself and put a new motor and transmission back in within 3 hours because i jumped directly into a tear down and then put it back in without a book. granted the first time it took me 2 days to do it. but that was in my spare time after work. then i had to do it again like a week later because a friend of mine did the same thing i did. he bought a eclipse with a perfect body and blown motor and then bought a wrecked eclipse (rear ended) with a good motor in it and needed a switch.

well he needed to go pay some bills and talk to his mom and left me to do the switch by myself. he told me to just prep the motor to be taken out and he would be back in a few hours to help with the rest. i had the engine prepped to be removed in 45 minutes. i called him and asked him how much longer he was going to be and he said he was still dealing with paying bills because of weekend traffic. so i pulled the front cross member off ripped out engine the transmission in another 15. slid the new motor in, hiked it up with a floor jack and a little custom made engine holder for the floor jack and had it in its mounts in 5 minutes. then i slid over the transmission and jacked it up into place. it took a little bit if twisting of the impeller shaft to get it to meet up to the engine, but after 10 minutes of playing with it id slid over. i put in the transmission bolts and tightened the transmission mounts. slid in the drive shafts popped on the suspension bolted the wheels back on hooked up all the electronics, oil, and coolant lines dropped it off the jack stands and looked over to the counter where the keys were. i flipped the key on and off to fist prime the engine. then turned the key. with a 3 second interval it took 3 turns to get the motor started. but i got it running.

it took me just over 3 hours so i decided to take it for a spin around the block as sson as i turned down the street to drive back to my buddies house he was calling me on the phone. i pulled over and answered he asked me where i was and where was his goddam car. i started laughing and said dude i'm coming down the street. he asked me if i fixed the motor that was in it or what cause there was no way i did a motor swap in 3 hours. i handed him the keys and said ,****! i did everything, its done, now give me 100 bucks for doing everything by myself." he then flipped open his wallet and started counting money. i said, "dude i was kidding!" and he replied, "no, no, you deserve this, that was amazing!"

all thanks to doing it without a manual or guide the first time and figuring out how to do it quick and easy. it sucks the first time around but the second time goes so smooth you don't even remember how hard it was you just remember how much it helped you out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bullet_bike_syke69 @ Apr 16 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
these types of guides are great, but you better not lose it. see i have noticed that in any mechanic job you do, if you use a guide or a book of some sort you never really retain how to do it after one time of doing it. now as for me if i know what the problem is and what needs to be taken off i dive in head first unless i'm not sure if it is torque specific on tear down like your engine head is. some other things apply as well. but if i know its not i tear it down myself and clean and then inspect. if the job takes me longer than 4 hours to do the tear down, cleaning, and inspection. i refer to the manual to put it back together. but it teaches me how to do it again without a book if i need to do it again.

i can take out a old G1 eclipse gs motor and transmission by myself and put a new motor and transmission back in within 3 hours because i jumped directly into a tear down and then put it back in without a book. granted the first time it took me 2 days to do it. but that was in my spare time after work. then i had to do it again like a week later because a friend of mine did the same thing i did. he bought a eclipse with a perfect body and blown motor and then bought a wrecked eclipse (rear ended) with a good motor in it and needed a switch.

well he needed to go pay some bills and talk to his mom and left me to do the switch by myself. he told me to just prep the motor to be taken out and he would be back in a few hours to help with the rest. i had the engine prepped to be removed in 45 minutes. i called him and asked him how much longer he was going to be and he said he was still dealing with paying bills because of weekend traffic. so i pulled the front cross member off ripped out engine the transmission in another 15. slid the new motor in, hiked it up with a floor jack and a little custom made engine holder for the floor jack and had it in its mounts in 5 minutes. then i slid over the transmission and jacked it up into place. it took a little bit if twisting of the impeller shaft to get it to meet up to the engine, but after 10 minutes of playing with it id slid over. i put in the transmission bolts and tightened the transmission mounts. slid in the drive shafts popped on the suspension bolted the wheels back on hooked up all the electronics, oil, and coolant lines dropped it off the jack stands and looked over to the counter where the keys were. i flipped the key on and off to fist prime the engine. then turned the key. with a 3 second interval it took 3 turns to get the motor started. but i got it running.

it took me just over 3 hours so i decided to take it for a spin around the block as sson as i turned down the street to drive back to my buddies house he was calling me on the phone. i pulled over and answered he asked me where i was and where was his goddam car. i started laughing and said dude i'm coming down the street. he asked me if i fixed the motor that was in it or what cause there was no way i did a motor swap in 3 hours. i handed him the keys and said ,****! i did everything, its done, now give me 100 bucks for doing everything by myself." he then flipped open his wallet and started counting money. i said, "dude i was kidding!" and he replied, "no, no, you deserve this, that was amazing!"

all thanks to doing it without a manual or guide the first time and figuring out how to do it quick and easy. it sucks the first time around but the second time goes so smooth you don't even remember how hard it was you just remember how much it helped you out.[/b]

I have my doubts you can do it in three hours but if you can thats friggin amazing if you do it right. Seriously 3 years is absolutely amazing. I have never in my 8 years working at a shop seen this happen. I work with 4 guys with all over 20 years expirience and not one of them could do that. If you not BSing you got some skills you should be proud of. You could show those guys from that show Overhauling how to do thing. If you were on that show you could probally overhaul the car in day!

·
Registered
25 Posts
How is this for an epic thread revival. 4 years old.

But, it's probably the most useful information I had ever found on this website, and unfortunately the link is no longer working.

Does anyone know if it is hosted elsewhere, or someone had the foresight to save the page?

I could really use it, thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts