Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have most of the issues ironed out after my rebuild.

I am left with these very annoying issues.

1. CEL Power on self test (POST) {at key-on, no CEL for 5 seconds, infact no CEL at all at any stage}

2. Speedometer not working (tacho works, all other lights in the cluster working)

3. Cannot connect to OBDI for diagnostics. tried 3 different diagnostic computers, all say cannot connect?

Can anyone please point in the right direction.
Thanks
Ahson

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
my first thought would be check for power/fuses that feed the pcm..
and the speedo may not be working due the pcm not working..

i would start with the wiring diagram ..

and here in the usa...the early 300gt did have issues with pcms..
the capacitors would go bad..they were pretty easy to tell when u took the cover off the pcm...

·
Registered
470 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ahsonpasha @ Apr 10 2011, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have checked and rechecked all the fuses in the car.
i take it from pcm you mean the ecu. i have bought 2 new ecu's.
everyting is working on the car. i use it everyday.
thanks[/b]
Check the harnesses for continuity, shorts, damage. Have you checked out the speed sensor and wiring harness which I assume comes off the gearbox. The bulb for the check engine light is it good?

Faulty connector on the back of the instrument cluster? Any broken tracks on the back of it? Maybe remove the cluster and work out the pinouts and check for voltage on the pin which supplies the voltage from the ECU to the CEL.

·
Registered
470 Posts
No, but I'm throwing thoughts to see if that helps you along.

Trying to under stand what you have done since you say you've done a rebuild. I'm assuming that you've pulled the engine/ trans out and wondering if any harnesses have been missed or damaged.

You say the CEL is good and you have illuminated it I assume by applying power directly to the cluster connector.

You say when power is applied to 106, I assume at the connector removed from the ECU? If it's hooked up right , does that not suggest that either the harness is no good or the junction where the cluster connects is bad?

Next step I'd say would be to remove the cluster and power on the ecu and see if any power is at the relevant point for the CEL where the cluster plugs in. If that's good then you may have a bad connection at that point. If you get nothing then proceed back to that ECU connector C-54, back probe pin 106 and repeat the power on & see if any volts are present there. Of course power would only be there for when you'd expect the lamp to be on.

Chances are you already have this in a manual. It looks like you'll either have a cable driven speedo and the ECU picks a pulse off the back of the cluster or it's purely electrical and there should be a sensor mounted on top of the gearbox near the diff towards the firewall .Both items mount in the same place with either the old traditional speedo cable or a 3 pin sensor and of course the harness.

sect 13A-117 upwards has all the speedo sensor tests from the manual already pinned
13A-183 has all the values for the ECU pinouts. 66 is the speed sensor signal for the ecu.

[attachment=14695:cluster.JPG] [attachment=14696:speedo.JPG]

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts