Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 from april 2005 . In the first eight months the selection of reverse at cold start caused a few problems 1 out 9 ( gear crunch )
I blaimed this on my heavy hand .

Now the winter is here I have the problem nearly every day when starting from cold and wanting to reverse out of my drive .
With the coupling pressed fully syncho does not work well and I get a gear crunch. I am getting a start syndrome .

When warmed up the reverse syncho works ok .

Before the winter I had mentioned a slight reverse gear change problem to my dealer - he advised to keep the car still . I have tried this - foot brake on , and it does not help .

Can anybody help with a solution or have experience to share -

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have a Colt 1.3 Mirage from June 2005 and I experienced the same problem. And I was told the same thing by the dealership, the won't fix the problem!

But if you start the car, and then shift into first gear before shifting into reverse, the synchro doesn't crunch! It works for me anyway, let me know you're getting along

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi nlau1 ,

Thanks for your reply . Nice to know I´m not the only one with this.

Getting into reverse via the first gear does help . Except today I had problems
getting into first gear from cold start and had to go via second gear to get into
first . Its cold weather here in The Netherlands .

I have not yet visited the garage to try to solve the problem as Winter ,and I do not want to miss the car , while they are looking at it .

However will update this site , when I do visit the garage in March for my standard service , or if the problem solves its self , or gets worse .

Rgds
Johnb

ps: Do you find the seat comfortable after 6 months.
I now often feel the side frame when the seat height is in a low stand ,
and the hinges when taking bends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi

are you driving a manual version of the 05 model colt? even for the automatic gear for colt, whenever engage from Park to Reverse, there is also a jerk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi bza

this is a standard manual 5 speed gearbox with 1 reverse .

why the reverse blocks at cold , and sometimes when warm I do not know .

going via the first gear , solves the problem - but not the solution you
want on a new car .

Any suggestions appreciated .

rgds

John

ps

Looks like I have solved my seat problem yesterday .The rear panel on the seat can be removed , by removing 2 screws and sliding the panel down , it is supported at top by the head rest tubes .
I then put sponge isolation material panels between the
cross frame and rear wire mesh support .The seat center rear is then better supported and you avoid pressure on the side frames .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi to all with this probem here is an update from Adan kenney in uk he has posted
on another Mitsubishi forum site .

http://www.ukmotoringdirectory.co.uk

Adam Kenney

195.92.168.165 Re: Mitsubishi Colt 05 Gearbox problems
January 7 2006 at 7:28 PM

Hello Johnb,

This is an update for you on my situation.

My dealer has told me that Mitsubishi has released a bulletin about the reverse gear problem.

My dealer has told me that they would change the gearbox oil to a lower viscosity version. They believed this would solve the problem.
They told me the oil used at the factory was too thick. So when cold, the oil dosen't move around the gearbox quick enough. Causing the crunch/clash. Once warm the oil was moving freely & thus stopped the clash.

My dealer had to order the oil specially for this. It took almost three weeks to arrive.

My car went back to the garage today to recieve the new oil.

Fingers crossed! I hope it works!

Adam Kenney

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam Kenney

195.92.168.164 Re: Mitsubishi Colt 05 Gearbox problems
January 16 2006 at 8:38 PM

Hello johnb,
Not good news I'm affraid.
It's been over a week since the new oil went into the gearbox.
It has made absolutley no difference!
I still have the crunching reverse gear when cold.
I have spoken to the service manager at my dealer & have been phobed off by them.
I was told that they want to leave the new gearbox to "run in" before any further work is carried out.
I have to wait until I have done 1000 further miles!
Before I can take the car back to be looked at again.
I am now going to contact Misubishi UK directly to complain.
I thought Mitsubishi's were supposed to be built well. I won't be buying another after this.

It sounds like your problem is a little worse then mine. I haven't had the gearbox lock up yet.

If Mitshubishi fix your vehicle. Could you update the thread with how they rectified it?

Good Luck
Adam Kenney

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reverses of the Colt is not gesynchroniseerd,
if you connect too fast in the R then you will get noises. You must kick in first the clutch , wait a sec or 2 and then in R set. The selection should be reasonably without sound . If this does not solve the problem, then the solution could be a new clutch.

AKA: The Orange One

1 - 8 of 8 Posts