Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, my 2002 lancer had a slow coolant leak which i could never track down but while driving down the freeway today i noticed white smoke (coolant!) and the temperature gauge quickly started rising so i immediately pulled over and the engine died. had the car towed home and noticed the radiator was leaking so i replaced the radiator with a new one. when i refilled with new coolant i noticed it was streaming out just behind the alternator on the passenger side front of the motor near the belts. i've already searched through the forum and think it could be the water pump, is that diagnosis correct?

also, the engine will turn but won't start now, could it be the head gasket? i did notice the engine oil cap seems to have leaked some oil out (positive pressure inside?) immediately when this mishap occurred. is the motor toast? time to junk the car or is there hope to repair? thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
118 Posts
From your description the water pump seems the likely suspect.

Refill your engine with water, leave off the radiator cap and try to start.
Does the water pump out of the radiator when trying to start?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i try to fill the radiator it all leaks out from that leak by the engine/belts, the leak is a stream so it leaks pretty quickly. i'll try starting it with the hose going to keep it filled and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay you're correct, with the radiator cap off it will burp out when trying to start the motor. is that good or bad?

·
Registered
118 Posts
if it just bubbles a bit its ok, could just be air.

if it sprays out like a fountain thats bad. But ideally none should come out

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yep. If you are repairing it, it will be worth doing cylinder leakage test to diagnose what cylinder(s) are causing the issue. Might be a cracked liner, or block damage.

Ouch :-(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts