Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there:

this is my first time posting on this forum, I have a 98 Galant LS that I love to death, good and faithful car.

Here is the problem, drove the car on Thursday night without any problem, parked in front of the house. My wife turned on the car on Friday and called me saying that there was a strong noise coming inside the engine compartment on the driver side.

To make the long story short the crank pulley came out of the housing and took the fan and AC belts with it. Both belts came out and the Fan belt is destroyed. I pushed the pulley back closer to the engine but I am not sure if this piece is attached to the engine and how. As far as I can tell there is an inner round piece that is attached to the engine and an outer piece that is where the belts go. I am mechanically inclined but never seems how the inside of this piece or how is attached to the engine. I have a service manual but does not show any pictures, when my lady openned the hood she said that a belt was out I went to the dealer and bought all three belts, at 88K miles they are due for replacement. I stopped by my mechanic but is out of town. If someone can give me some advice will be great. I am taking the wheel out tomorrow to make some room and see if I can figure out what broke or came loose. Is this a job for my mechanic or I have to take the car to the dealer. Again any advice, pictures and or diagrams will be extremely helpful

thanks for help and sorry for the long e-mail

Figman

·
Registered
499 Posts
to me it sounds like your harmonic balancer pulley has separated.that is why there is a rubber layer between the center hub and the actual pulley section.the entire pulley assembly should be bolted on and should never at any time just be pushed on.also make sure the center bolt is still there which holds the hub unit in place.can't imagine it is gone but worth a check before ordering a new harmonic balancer.if it is the harmonic balancer itself then the only cure I am afraid is to order a new one.I tend to avoid used as they can be in just as bad a shape as yours.it is not cheap to buy from your dealer but if you like the car and plan on keeping it in the family for awhile........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
Had mine go on my 97 Galant, I'm afraid you will probably find that you will only get a new pulley from a mitsubishi dealer , it cost me £150 about 2 yrs ago. Price was a bit of a shock at the time but well worth it if your planning on keeping the car for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts