Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the timing belt on my 2002 Montero Ltd, and am having a hard time getting the crankshaft pulley bolt loose using a breaker bar + extension. Can anyone confirm that the bolt is not reverse thread?

·
Registered
499 Posts
normally all we used to do(and this was a dealership) was to put a 24" breaker bar on the crank bolt with the bar on the right side of the engine bay as you look at it and hit the starter momentarily.this has more than enough torque to do the job.the engines in the uk run in a clockwise direction as should yours I believe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, if you braced the breaker bar, you would effectively be loosening the bolt by turning it in the opposite direction that the engine turns, right? If that's the case, then the bolt tightens clockwise, loosens counterclockwise, so therefore is threaded in the standard direction.

It doesn't make sense to me that the bolt would loosen by turning in the opposite direction of the engine, because this may cause the bolt to loosen.

The manual stresses never to turn the crankshaft counterclockwise, so my engine should be clockwise turning engine. This agrees with the direction of the fan blades, which pull air in by turning counterclockwise, and the back of the belt drives the fan pulley in the opposite direction as the crankshaft.

I'd still like a definite confirmation from someone on the thread direction of the bolt, even though it sounds like it's a standard thread.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The engine crank test sound like a good idea but you don't want to get it wrong or else you will be removing the engine to extract the sheared bolt and re-tapping. It has happened before.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, normally in these cases I would remove the flywheel visiting plate and hold the flywheel teeth with a prybar and then loosen the bolt,which is a standard right hand threaded, you may need to brace the breaker bar...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using the starter and breaker bar worked like a charm. I tried fashioning a spanner wrench to hold the pulley, and couldn't get the bolt off. I tried Liquid Wrench and an air-driven impact wrench, and couldn't get the bolt off. Finally, I tried the starter trick, and broke it loose immediately. Thanks!

Personally, I recommend this method, at least for the Montero. If the bolt had been reverse threaded, there's a good chance it would have broken the bolt. If the bolt breaks on the Montero using this method, it should also break using any other method, since it's just a torque applied to a breaker bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Changed the cylinderhead couple days ago, had problems with the same bolt, should've registerd to this forum to know about that trick :rolleyes:

I solved the problem by heating the bolt a bit, since garages here use threadlocker. Air-impact after heat, and of it goes the bolt..... Anyway this method with the starter would've much easier :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
eclipse 03 2.4l

hello all
I have a eclipse 03 2.4l and I'm tryin to get my crankshaft pulley bolt out.
It seems not to want to come out. I've sprayed it with W-D40 to try to loosen it. I've used a 24 inch breaker bar, impacted wrench electric, and air impacted wrench.

I need suggestions on which way the bolts turns to loosen and the best method to get it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts