Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mitsubishi pajero exceed 2800cc.
This problem occurs everytime the vehicle has to start from cold. It would start perfectly and idle but when an attempt is made to move vehicle it fails after several short runs. Checks reveal that the manual primer pump has to be pumped up before it can start again and run. From pumping it was observed that the pressure in the primer pump was "soft" initially and then would become "hard" after several pumps. The vehicle would start again after a couple tumbles and then run again for a short distance and then the same thing happens again . This would go on until the engine warms up to operating temperature ( just b4 half line on gauge) at which time the vehicle would operate without further problems..

Is there anything electrical that could be wrong with this system or or is it a mechanical problem with the seals (sumone suggested) ?

Fuel lines were changed , fuel filter was changed, manual primer pump was changed and the problem still occured.

I await your urgent response.
Thanks..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I have the same car and the same problem, though not as severe. The engine dies when subjected to heavy load when cold (like up hill from where I live), but when it has been running for a few minutes, all is well. Alternatively, if I go down the hill, no problem occurs. I have been told this could be a slight air leak in the fuel line developing an air pocket over time, and not related to temperature. A few moments running will pump fuel through and flush the air out until the engine is left off for a few hours or more.
Any one else had problems with this?? Where is the leak most likely to be?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hiya, Ive got a similar problem on my 2.8tdi. Mine starts but spluters and dies when cold. But will start on the next crank. I think ive found the problem, i had the intercooler of tonight messing with a egr plate (long and painful story) but i could see where a injector fuel pipe was leaking and so i think it was letting air in over time, say 12 hours so it had trouble starting. Fingers crossed she starts in the morning. Andy

·
Registered
65 Posts
It could also be a problem with the fuel pump seals. These tend to go after a while as they are originally made from rubber. The new ones are silicone so are not affected by the fuel.

Remove the diesel filter and check if there is any oil in the filter, if there is then the pump seals have gone.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
With all of these problems you are getting air into the fuel lines. It could come form the pump seals or lines. Really need to start at the tank and work your way through to find it. Air entry is not easy to detect because often there is no fluid leaking from the point of failure. I remember doing a check on my Landcruiser many years back and I connected low pressure air onto the engine side supply and blowing air back to the tank. Once I did this I could hear where the leak was. Not sure if you could do this with your vehicle but may be possible.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts