Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, having a right nightmare with my di-d. Change the oil and out of coincidence it will now not start. Iv changed the crank sensor, glowplugs. Now moving towards air in injection system. Is the fuel filter located next to the primer and is priming the best way for bleeding. I got a funny feeling it's drawing in air from somewhere too. Been off the road 2 weeks and had 3 mechanics baffled. Also what's the suction thing at back engine by inlet? Anyone else had this problem?

Helps much appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
repair manuals that may help are in the pinned section

is this a direct injection diesel

and was all working ok before you did an oil change

this model does have a diagnostic port to give you fault codes with a reader

any codes reading

3 mechanics --- so all the basics fault causes for it not to run should have been checked

my thoughts
a timing belt slip
valves not sealing
a compression loss
a fuel pump or filter

dont know this one yet
you are asking about a particular suction part at the back of the engine

added information

compression- fuel delivery and the glow plugs are needed to get the motor to run
cant have a vacuum leak
you could have an ignition problem a relay- ..but its something simple if compression figures are good

i found the supplier of the parts
all three should be replaced at a service

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FOR-MITSUBISHI-...=item43adfb8c23

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Sometimes even qualified mech overlooks simple issues. Double check some of the simple things like if the glow plugs are actually working. Just because they are new doesn't mean they are working etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had it start yesterday once but couldn't again after that, cant be timing belt as had that changed recently. I think it some thing simple. The only faults read was glow plugs and crank sensor.

Was working fine before appart from couple times it didn't start on first key and yes its direct diesel

Iv checked fuses and swapped around relays, I'll double check glowplugs are working tho it is quite warm at moment. But I would fort mechanics would of checked compression etc. I also checked the pump and I'm getting diesel after the pump so persume that's working.

Thanks for replys so far

I found there's not a lot of info on these cars.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Direct injection diesel should start without glowplugs in summer.

Two possibilities come to mind - compression or fuel.

Compression get´s worse slowly - so if suddenly doesn´t start I strongly suspect fuel.

Pressure being bled overnight - hard to start in the morning - check for leaks between pump and injector
Pump is not getting enough fuel - check pump in tank
Water in system - bleed fuel filter and make sure no water - after that bleed air from filter.

Since fault code is crank sensor - take care of that first - might not get the right position or any position
Old diesel like mine have a mechanical injection timing - always same
Yours is a modern one with electronic injection - hence the need for a crank sensor
Depending on load, rpm, air temp, etc. the ECU decides how much to inject - but for when also needs crank position !
So if crank sensor defective or loose wiring - maybe no injection at all

Check all wirings and connectors to crank sensor before you buy a new one

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Your second problem are the glow plugs.

Many reasons for them not to be working.

Didn´t start on first key - glow plugs didn´t even glow for a few seconds

Check if glow plugs are the right ones - if in doubt buy originals
There is a reason why there a tier one, tier two, tier three supplier for OEM´s - QUALITY

There are things for a car I don´t trust aftermarket and prefer the original
A light bulb would be a good example for aftermarket I trust - if it´s a tier one supplier
I do not trust aftermarket glow plugs - unless they are tier one suppliers ...
It´s like with spark plugs - no problem from Bosch or NGK - they are tier one suppliers

Check all connections to the glow plugs and make sure they get power
Use manual to check electric components for glowing system - resistance etc.
Narrow the problem down step by step - start with glow plugs as mentioned before

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that reply, iv changed crank sensor as was cheap and swapped glow plugs for Bosch ones. I got suspicion its fuel. I shall start breaking down even more, and see how I get on.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
The most obvious reason for not starting or hard start for a diesel is weak / defective battery.

I am assuming that has been checked and not the reason.

Compression good and everything else too except battery - hard or no start - starts fine by pushing though ....

A gasoline engine doesn´t need the crank speed like a diesel cos it´s fuel is ignited.
A diesel engine needs the speed cos when piston is going up for compression the intake valve is still closing
Crank too slow - not enough air for good burn - hard to start

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for that reply, iv changed crank sensor as was cheap and swapped glow plugs for Bosch ones. I got suspicion its fuel. I shall start breaking down even more, and see how I get on.
Hi,

Did you figure it out in the end ?
Have a similar problem with my Di-D too and it's a nightmare. Already costs me 500€ and still not starting : (

Regards,

Jul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts