Mitsubishi Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm not calling you stupid, stupid (no hard feeling). i can't find any words that have the right amount of kick to it.

to who ever brought this 2 year old thread back from the dead, should be kick where the sun don't shine. what a waste of internet space.

· Registered
3 Posts
We've all been taken for a ride at some point in our lives, but this chip is just another scam that poeple need to be aware of.

Like those vortex intake HP boosters. All garbage.

If nothing else, reviving this thread will remind people not to get taken in by scammers.

· Registered
916 Posts
The best bang for the buck that I've experienced was replacing the airfilter by a K&N filter. K&N claims a 5 to 10% fuel economy gain. I measured an 8% increase. But you have to clean it often or mileage will decrease quite drastically.

· Registered
1,895 Posts

· Registered
916 Posts
It is craddled on a bracket beside the heater box at the cabin air filter level. If you remove your glove compartement door ( remove left stopper by pulling it forward or I prefer to push it from behind by squeezing my hand above and around the door) you will see it at the right.(See picture) But it comes out from the bottom after you remove kick panel and connectors. The silvery steel bracket with the circular hole is what holds it in place. Just pry that bracket and down comes the ECU. Hope this helps!!!!

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by dirtwagon@Nov 16 2005, 03:55 PM
Do any of these actually produce power gains?  Most of the feedbacks state that they do, however, have yet to see feedback from the outlander.  Do they reconfigure the air\fuel ratio's?  I know they change feedback to the computer, but aren't sure exactly what happens.  Anyone have one?  :liebe011:
[snapback]35682[/snapback]​
I don't know anything about the specific product you found on eBay but I can answer the question generically.

Yes, changing the ECU (Engine Control Unit) software can increase horsepower modestly. The reason for this is simple, when the manufacturer sets up the ECU control parameters (spark advance curve, air/fuel ratio, transmission shift points, etc.) they must balance performance (HP), gas mileage (MPG), and engine reliability to achieve the best compromise that satisfies the customers, goverment CAFE standards, and engine/drivetrain longevity. In general, MPG is weighted fairly heavily. If a person is willing to sacrifice gas mileage or perhaps engine life then more horsepower can be achieved by changing the ECU firmware. Usually engine/drivetrain longevity isn't the major trade off, normally it is MPG versus HP. So, if you are willing to trade lower gas mileage you might be able to squeeze another 5 ~ 10 horsepower out of the motor. Expect a corresponding decrease (or more) in MPG.

That said, I don't know if the specific chips you are referring to on eBay are good or not. I'm confident that there are ripoffs in this industry. If you want to mess with your ECU firmware I would troll hotrod forums and local performance shops and do a lot of research before you buy anything. Also be aware on some late model cars you don't actually swap "chips", you simply reflash the firmware. And of course, if you do open up your ECU and swap chips or reflash the firmware you can void the manufacturers warranty if it is still in play.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.