Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, so the trans in my wife's car crapped out so last night we bought a 96 eclipse GS, 420a, naturally aspirated, automatic trans, just under 150k miles.

Body wise, its almost perfect. Only found one small spot of rust bubbling the paint on the driver side rear wheel well.

The engine appears to be mostly well kept. There is a rather minimal amount of oil in places it shouldn't be.

The issues that we bought it with are the exhaust has been straight piped with a crappy muffler. Due to the straight pipe, there is no catalytic converter which is causing a check engine light. Also, I believe this is related to the exhaust, when slowing down after accelerating the engine RPMs dip VERY low and almost stalls as well as when accelerating hard there is a fair amount of black smoke (symptom of unspent fuel). I plan on restoring the exhaust system back to mostly stock, will this help with the rpm and black smoke symptoms?

Also, the guy had some (probably) crappy HID headlights installed which is causing an inability to switch between high beams and low beams. The high beam indicator turns on and off, but its just stuck on low beam. From what I read this should be an easy fix but if anybody has experienced this before, some help would be appreciated.

Other than that everything else should be easy to fix.
The heater isn't working but those systems usually aren't difficult to work on plus the car came with a cigarette lighter plug in heater thing.
The passenger door exterior handle doesn't work.
Missing one piece of exterior door trim.
The drivers (power) window works until the last inch or two of closing it but it can be manually pulled up.

I've always liked these cars and I'm glad we finally own one. I would have preferred to get the turbo model, but its hard to complain for only 700 bucks especially since we were in a pinch and needed the car asap.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Generally i stay clear of buying cars with the wheels painted black. I would rip out the aftermarket HID and go LED, you dont have those crappy aftermarket HID ballasts and bulbs to deal with and not all that wiring and they last longer. Since this car is just basically a shortened/converted Galant chassis with a 2 door shell and a Chrysler engine it has its flaws. MY best friend on here who has one can attest to that. If you live in snowy weather , be sure to rince your fender sections out weekly , upper area where the control arm area where the strut bolts up, they hold snow and salt and rust up very very easily.

The sunroof plastic channels that lift and help the sunroof slide break easily and best thing is to just replace the whole roof tracking assembly with that of a 1995-2000 Dodge Avenger coupe or Chrysler Sebring Coupe , which although its a bigger coupe ( actually it uses the full length Galant chassis and is the same length) it uses the same sunroof but has more durable track rods . The ETACS system on this can act up from time to time and make the lock and other options inoperable sometimes ( that ive noticed on many i repair)

If its manual transmission the shifter bushing inside pop out . On the 420a Chrysler engine stay up to date on timing belt changes and waterpump. They do not like to go more than 65,000 miles per bely i have noticed. Try to inquire when the belt was last changed . The 420a also was notorious for oil leaks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all of that information. Fortunately the sun roof still works fine. It is an auto so don't have to worry about that bushing. I have noticed rust on the front passenger side strut mount. Judging by the smell of the exhaust, I think it might be burning more oil than its leaking unfortunately but it still runs pretty well. I did notice that the trans seems to be leeking out of the rear differential looking cover plate. That looks like a pain in the ass to change. I was planning on swapping the lights back to original, but I'll look into the LEDs maybe.

Thanks again for all of that info!

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
For the RPM issue I have a hard time believing it's the cause of your idle issues unless it's diameter is larger than factory. Enlarging an exhaust can actually increase back pressure if it's too large as the exhaust starts to cool and has issues being pushed all the way through. I would go through the intake make sure the throttle body is clean etc, also check spark plugs for oil and their gaps.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
The RPM dipping very low when slowing down could be the engine over fueling slightly from not having a catalytic converter and larger than needed exhaust. Pull one or two of the spark plugs and see what it looks like . If the plugs are fairly dark the engine is running richer than needs to be

1 - 7 of 7 Posts