Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right... I have installed a new battery and since then i have had problems... engine stalling etc. Yesterday the engine cut out and my yellow engine dash light was flashing and there was also an audible bleeping sound. I turned the ignition off and it started again. The acceleration was erratic as if there was a fuel issue!

Now this morning it won't start and the yellow dash light is flashing again!

Anyone have any ideas please??

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
15 Posts
As I have been looking around the owner's / workshop manual lately, I did come across the part that mentioned rough running after installing a new battery, ( mainly for petrol models I would have thought ) and the advice is to get the car started and up to temperature, and then let it idle for ten minutes, switch off, and re-start, and the ECU would have re-learned the fueling requirements, and should run as well as before. That's fine, but I can imagine the throttle blipping antics required to keep a rough running engine going for ten minutes. When we had similar problems with our petrol Spacestar, it turned out to be an oxygen ( lambda ) sensor gone west.

Probably way too late for you guys, but might help someone else in future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loz @ Jan 4 2008, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As I have been looking around the owner's / workshop manual lately, I did come across the part that mentioned rough running after installing a new battery, ( mainly for petrol models I would have thought ) and the advice is to get the car started and up to temperature, and then let it idle for ten minutes, switch off, and re-start, and the ECU would have re-learned the fueling requirements, and should run as well as before. That's fine, but I can imagine the throttle blipping antics required to keep a rough running engine going for ten minutes. When we had similar problems with our petrol Spacestar, it turned out to be an oxygen ( lambda ) sensor gone west.

Probably way too late for you guys, but might help someone else in future.[/b]
Hello, I am going through this trauma of seeing the yellow dash light, my engine was cutting out so a local mechanic fixed throttle (!) after that this engine light came, showwed him a wekk later and then the engine light went away after he re-adjusted the throttle. He says there was little to do with throttle but what he did was plug off the battery and then re-connect.

Can you please tell me about oxygen sensor a little bit more, i don;t want to run into expensive bills so kindly let me know what it costs ...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Since no more experienced person has answered I will add my bit of basic knowledge.

There are usually two oxygen sensors ... One is upstream from the catalytic converter (before) and the other is downstream (after). They measure the difference in the oxygen emissions before and after the catalytic converter and look for a certain balance to judge the removal of pollutants (other gases).

Normally these will just turn on your check or service engine light and not cause the auto to not start or run when they sense an imbalance or failure.

If you live in a US state (California) or other country that requires emission testing you have to fix it. Otherwise most people ignore it and simply reset the OBD computer in the auto as needed.

Hope that helps ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply, actually i should have mentioned earlier, my car gives engine warning light and then it starts loss of power. Its as if car refuses to pick speed . Believe me, its a tough to come to terms with the loss of power. The car costed just a grand, won't make much sense pumping in huge sums. any further comments on this behaviour would help me make that decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts