Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Endeavor is making a strange hissing noise under my car. It comes on when I do over 20 MPH and continues until I drop below 20MPH. I thought it might be the brakes so I changed everything up front, caliper, rotors, and brakes but no help. It's driving me crazy. I don't hear it below 20 MPH. Help

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have this noise too. I thought it sounded a bit like a valve letting off some steam - wondered if it was a coolant leak, but it isn't that.

There has been some talk on here about it being a bearing of some sort, I can't remember exactly.

This noise and my weird grumbling wheel bearing noise that isn't a wheel bearing, and the fact I'm out of warranty = today I have just done a deal to trade to a new Outlander XLS! Got a great deal and was getting the "time bomb" feeling with the Endeavor, so have just gotten rid. Pick up the new Outlander on Saturday - Can't wait!

My Endeavor has been a great vehicle until this last year where it has been hit by multiple problems and expensive service bills. Maybe if I stumped up more cash to fix them, it would go fine again - but for what little payment the one is costing me, it really wasn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your noise sounds similar to mine. I had more of a screeching noise coming from my engine. Kinda sounds like a belt. It starts when the car is warmed up and I reached 40 MPH. The pitch of the sound goes higher as I increase speed. It stops screeching when I go below 40 MPH.

I take my Endeavor to GoodYear for service and mentioned the noise. I ended up taking the mechanic for a drive to let him hear for himself. The mechanic said that its thepropeller shaft and there is a service bulletin out. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem, I'm going to call my local dealer about the propeller shaft. The dealer had it for 4 days last week and couldn't figure the noise out! They first thought it was the brakes, then a hub bearing, then a caliper. Nada. Hopefully this will be it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So if i take this to the dealer will they fix this for free. I have an 04 Endeavor with 71175 Miles on it and i just started to hear the noise. it happens to me after i pass 20mph. i took it to my local mechanic and he put it up on the lift and told me to hit the gas. after about 5 min he identifid the problem and it the Propeller Shaft. i called the dealer to find out what the price was and they told me the part will cost me $780.00. I really dont want to pay this but if is something the dealer fix for free please let me know. Thank you. I'm alittle worry because i have 4 endeavors as this is my car fleet for my business. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (manybrews @ Apr 26 2008, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
do a search. This has been talked about many times here.[/b]

Mine just recently started doing this. I'm just short of 60k, so I need to get this in ASAP. I'm trying to search for propeller shaft, but the search function doesn't seem to work anymore.

My regular dealer closed on me and I wasn't too happy with the service with the remaining dealer. Is there a bulletin number someone could give me so I can just give that to the service department so they can figure this out and get it fixed without me taking it back multiple times?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DavidE @ May 17 2009, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mine just recently started doing this. I'm just short of 60k, so I need to get this in ASAP. I'm trying to search for propeller shaft, but the search function doesn't seem to work anymore.

My regular dealer closed on me and I wasn't too happy with the service with the remaining dealer. Is there a bulletin number someone could give me so I can just give that to the service department so they can figure this out and get it fixed without me taking it back multiple times?

Thanks.[/b]
TSB No: 108
NHTSA No: 10013677
TSB Date: 8/1/04
Component: Power Train: Automatic Transmission
Summary: Whistle noise from the propeller shaft.

My question is do we have to pay for it or is this something that the Dealer has to do for Free. Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, everyone
Just returned from a dealer. I'll be brief.
The hissing (whistling) sound that is coming underneath after 10 min of driving at 40-45 m/h.
The mechanic at dealership said that he is 90% sure that it is not drive shaft (propshaft bearings). What he is thinking is that the grill customarily installed could be the culprit. Never came across anything like that in the forum.
Any suggestions and opinions will be appeciated. Have anyone experienced any noices with the front grill installed?
Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nootrak4 @ May 15 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So if i take this to the dealer will they fix this for free. I have an 04 Endeavor with 71175 Miles on it and i just started to hear the noise. it happens to me after i pass 20mph. i took it to my local mechanic and he put it up on the lift and told me to hit the gas. after about 5 min he identifid the problem and it the Propeller Shaft. i called the dealer to find out what the price was and they told me the part will cost me $780.00. I really dont want to pay this but if is something the dealer fix for free please let me know. Thank you. I'm alittle worry because i have 4 endeavors as this is my car fleet for my business. Thank you everyone.[/b]
I know it's been a little while since you posted this, I'm having the same issue with my '04 Endev AWD. What did you end up doing about the propeller shaft issue? Did you get it done at the dealer? How much did they charge you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts