Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ok so today it has been a bad day and i just got to find out that the car has some problem :(

The issue is: I turn on the car, i dont drive but idle for a few minutes and then the rpm goes to 1500 and the check engine light turns on.

How to check the error code? I read something about grounding the Pin1 of the connector but im not quite sure! (the car is not OBD2)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got it sorted out!

Basically with the engine off put a wire in the terminal #1 , and the other end of the wire at some steel part of the car (i put it on the bolt that is on the door), in this way you basically ground the terminal 1.

Then turn on the car, without having the engine on, just the ignition on, and then count all the flashes of the engine light!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Watch this space...

I will soon post a procedure, showing you how to access trouble codes from your vehicle's computer.

Cheers,

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is your OBD2 plug.

Stick a copper wire in pin nr 1.

Then connect the wire to any given metal on the car. Ground

A clicking sound will appear and then the check engine light will start to flash in given sequence.

When it flashes 0,5 sec with apprx 0.5 delay then it`s "tens"
When it flashes 0,2 sec with apprx 0,2 delay then it`s "one"

EX : three "long flases" and two "short flashes" equals code 32 which is the MAP sensor

These are the codes :

Diagnostic Codes
Mitsubishi
Without OBD-II

11 Oxygen sensor fault.
12 Airflow sensor fault.
13 Intake air temp sensor fault.
14 Throttle position sensor (TPS) fault.
15 Idle speed control (ISC) motor position sensor fault.
21 Coolant temp sensor fault.
22 Crankshaft position (CKP) sesnor fault.
23 Camshaft position (CMP) sensor fault.
24 Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) fault.
25 Barometric (BARO) pressure sensor fault.
31 Knock sensor fault.
32 MAP sensor faulty.
36 Ignition timing adjustment signal fault.
39 Oxygen (O2) sensor fault.
41 Injector(s) fault
42 Fuel pump fault.
43 EGR fault.
44 Ignition coil (cylinders #1 & #4) fault.
52 Ignition coil (cylinders #2 & #5) fault.
53 Ignition coil (cylinders #3 & #6) fault.
55 Idle air control (IAC) valve position sensor fault.
59 Rear Oxygen (O2) sesnor fault.
61 Transaxle control module torque reduction signal fault.
62 Variable Induction control (VIC) valve position sensor fault.
71 Traction control (TC) vacuum valve solenoid fault.
72 Traction Control (TC) vent valve solenoid fault.

So there we go ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
As promised, please find attached my document outlining the simple procedure to extract Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) from your Mitsubishi on-board computer.

Notes:

1) Contrary to previous posts, you do not need to connect your jumper wire to any metal on your vehicle (Pin # 4 is your GROUND).
2) CAUTION: beware the connector could be mounted upside down.
3) You must take extreme care to identify the correct pins (as connecting wrong pins could cause damage).
4) This procedure will help you determine faults within the following systems: Emission Control (Engine); ABS (Brakes); Airbag and Auto Transmission.
5) Fault codes indicate problems within a circuit, therefore all components within that circuit should be checked.
6) Problems with one circuit, could trigger faults within associated circuits also (always correct the most likely circuit first, then re-check).
7) Continuous "steady" flashing of a warning light, indicates no faults present in that circuit.

Due to the multiple systems monitored by the vehicle's computer, the Diagnostic Code list is quite extensive.

Once you have extracted all your codes, I recommend you post your codes in this forum and one of us will be happy to respond.

Cheers,

[attachment=13525:Diagnost...hi_OBDII.pdf]

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,

Great info!!!!!

Will this work on the Carisma DiD (2002).
I presume it would be safe to at least try.

I have the cable from the folks in New Zealand (can't remember name) but it does not work.

It's really annoying having to go to a garage at 40 bucks a skud to have a fault code read.

Cheers,
JC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there,

YES.....all vehicle's from 1997 onwards are required to be OBDII compliant, so this Mitsubishi procedure should work on your Carisma.

WARNING: YOU "MUST" DETERMINE WHICH WAY UP YOU CONNECTOR IS, BEFORE CONNECTING PINS 1 & 4 WITH A JUMPER WIRE

Let us know what code/s you extract from warning lights.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
obd 2 will not give u codes that way...

only obd 1 will give u codes with the flashing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I understand this to be older posting however, thought I'd post diagram of Data Port pin-out for clarification;

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, I have codes 22 and 23 on Mitsubishi Montero 1995, JA4MR41H8SJ013377 VIN

..so far I have those errors explanations. How do I know correct ones?
22Crankshaft position (CKP) sesnor fault.23Camshaft position (CMP) sensor fault.

DTC - 22 Throttle position sensor error (signal low)
DTC - 23 Intake air temp sensor error (low temp indicated)

Code 22 Crank angle sensor fault
Code 23 No.1 cylinder TDC sensor fault

1 - 13 of 13 Posts