Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else with a 04 endeavor out there haveing same issues? it is a 3.8 v6 awd. when it gets hot or i have more than one person in vehicle it sounds like a deisel motor only upon exceleration only after vehicle is moving. dealership told me it is because of quality of gas where i live. i fill with premium as reccomended, but it doesnt help. its just hard to believe since the noise is quite noticable.please respond

·
Registered
9 Posts
[email protected]
Originally posted by shotshell@Sep 25 2004, 12:38 PM
anyone else with a 04 endeavor out there haveing same issues? it is a 3.8 v6 awd. when it gets hot or i have more than one person in vehicle it sounds like a deisel motor only upon exceleration only after vehicle is moving. dealership told me it is because of quality of gas where i live. i fill with premium as reccomended, but it doesnt help. its just hard to believe since the noise is quite noticable.please respond
[snapback]1365[/snapback]​

Hello,
I am the proud owner of a Mitsubishi Pajero IO. The 1800cc GDI is 4wd and i experience the same problem with the noise coming from my engine. I am told that that the engine is equipped with Hydraulic lifters instead of the normal tappets. They are suppose to be noisy but recently the noise is becoming louder and annoying. I am also in search for engine specifications for the GDI 1834cc DOCH. 1998 model. Please feel free to send any infomation.

Pajero IO lover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I HAVE O4 XLS AWD. :unsure: I TO HAVE THE SAME NOISE FROM THE ENGINE, MY DEALR DID A COMPUTER CODE CHANE. NOW THE NOISE SEEMS 2 BE LOUDER!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I too experience this same problem and I was told the same thing by my dealership. The noise is very noticeable and is accompanied by a rattling noise only upon acceleration. Since filling with premium doesnt seem to help I usually use a lower grade. I guess this is just one of the joys of owning this vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the same issue. Thought at first it was ping, but premium versus mid-grade didn't seem to make a difference. The more I hear it I wonder if it is piston slap. I know in some of Mitsu's previous engines excessive heat could cause the piston's wrist-pin to tighten up leading to unnatural friction against the cylinder walls causing them to gradually widen (I'm sure there's a term for this but it's been years since I've worked on cars and dont' remember everything). Something that naturally occurs in diesels (the reason they get louder over time)... and is often seen in turbo engines, especially those without useful (or with blocked) piston head coolers. (see 2.2Ll turbo Chrysler LeBaron circa 1990)

Though I noticed there was a PCMupdate for ping, spark knock and a few other issues as well... I'd like to believe that will fix the issue and I'm not stuck with "cow bells" for in my engine for the duration.

I don't believe hydralic lifters are causing it... those usually make a persistent (and loud) ticking sound which is most often heard at an idle - not as noticeable under load conditions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It should be octane ping, mine does it if i use any gas below 90 octane, just throw some octane booster in every other or couple tanks if you are going to run below that it has kept mine running smooth while the gas prices have been so high, but the ping comes back when i skip two to three tanks. Also if you pull you ecu block in the engine fuse compartment, its the big ****, this will remap your air fuel ratio for the current altitude settings when I was living in Utah (5400ft) I used to drive to see my family on the coast of oregon, retting the sensor about half way through the trip yelided better gas milage, because it was more efficiently using the denser air. This is the quick way if you don't have access to a power programmer. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Endeavor AWD with 11,000 miles 2 weeks ago and am noticing similar noises. The dealer says he drives one that sounds similarly. I'm wondering if it's the air pump I'm hearing, as it seems to eminate from the intake area (the driver's side of the engine compartment near the firewall). but whatever it is it sounds like the 3.8L engine is running on 5 cylinders. It's louder when cold and louder on accelleration than at cruising speed, but it's always there. I need to find the cause and correct it--It's driving me nuts!!! I also hear what might be noisey injectors. Anybody have any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
you must use premium.
period. If you dont, you will suffer engine detonation. The 04s had it worse than the newer ones, and there is a software update to alliviate this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the response, manybrews! I am using premium. I've also tried injector cleaners and even changed the oil despite my dealer maintaing that it was just done. Yes, sometimes it seems to be coming from inside the engine, but sometimes I think it's a peripheral device, so I guess my ear can't tell exactly what it is. Does your engine seem to run rough even with premium, or does it purr smoothly? How can I tell if I'm due for the software update?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
there were about a half dozen software updates for the 04s. All for some small issues, including the pinging.
if you've never had it done, it definatly would apply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, thanks again Manybrews! Unofrtunately, I gotta suspect that I suspect my dealer, where I bought my '06 3 weeks ago, would blow me off if I asked about software updates. I mean, if it were due for an update, why wasn't that done before I bought it? So I imagine they'd probably never admit it if there was one due. (i guess i don't have a whole lot of confidence in them, as almost half of the dealership swore to me that i didn't need to put premium in the tank before i bought it--and they were wrong!) Do you know any way I can verify if my engine is up to date without going through the dealer?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Originally posted by MinnesotaMike@Dec 29 2006, 11:54 AM
Hey, thanks again Manybrews!  Unofrtunately, I gotta suspect that I suspect my dealer, where I bought my '06 3 weeks ago, would blow me off if I asked about software updates.  I mean, if it were due for an update, why wasn't that done before I bought it?  So I imagine they'd probably never admit it if there was one due.  (i guess i don't have a whole lot of confidence in them, as almost half of the dealership swore to me that i didn't need to put premium in the tank before i bought it--and they were wrong!)  Do you know any way I can verify if my engine is up to date without going through the dealer?
[snapback]80602[/snapback]​
you're being a bit derogatory . This common idea that dealers are all "out to get you" is a cyclical thing. If you have an attitude like that, it shows.. and who will want to help you if their help is constantly being questioned?
also, nobody is trying to hide anything. there is certainly no reason to do something like that at any retail business like a new car dealership, as its just not worth it.
It isn't a recall, but an update. there are a million reasons why it wouldn't have been done, the first being that no one would have complained about it! The updates are specifically done on a "customer complaint" basis. Work doesn't get done for free in any business I know of, and the auto industry is no different. If you bought it used, the original owner may not have noticed anything (as 99 percent of the owners wouldn't). there is nothing major with the software updates that would require it to need to be done... most of the updates are minor annoyances that a lot of people would never notice.
Lastly, you actually don't HAVE to use premium. you should, though. It does have a knock sensor, and will compensate for the cheap gas by detuning the engine. But you will potentially lose power, mileage, and hear a bit of pinging. In the cold of Minnesota, it may be much easier to use a lower octane fuel without pinging due to the increased density of the air.

you said you have an 06.... there is only one software update for it, and it is only to eliminate a possible false "check engine" light code. It wont have any effect on the drivability of your endeavor at all.

unfortunatly, there are only a couple of ways to know if you have updated software. If it was done under warranty, it would come up under mitsubishi warranty records.
There may be an update sticker under your hood (they are crummy stickers, though, and fall off frequently).
the last way is to bring it in, and attach it to mitsubishis diagnostic center. There it will show if its been updated or not.
If you're willing to give me your VIN, I can look up warranty history and other stuff. But if you're paranoid about the internet and dont want to give it out, I understand.
Really, just go talk to your dealer. Find a mechanic that has worked there for a while, and talk. No one is trying to steal your money, and most people will help in anyway they can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
dude, just put some octane booster in the fuel! quality of fuel these days is getting worse and worse but manufactures are trying to get better and better performance from their engines, i.e more compression and better breathing. also, if you go to the same petrol station all the time, dont! change brand of fuel and see what happens!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are software updates free? I have an 04 endeavor with 35000 miles on it now. I went out of warranty at 30000 miles i am guessing.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
most updates (if applicable) are considered emission items, and usually covered under warranty for 80000 miles.
once again, they are done on a "customer complaint" basis.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Originally posted by MinnesotaMike@Jan 2 2007, 02:14 PM
Hey crazy drunk guy, can you tell this paranoid (but not derogatory) endeavor owner how I can look up "warranty history and other stuff?"
[snapback]80945[/snapback]​
im afraid you cant personally.
You can call your local dealer, who can do it. You can give me your VIN, and I can do it (although that freaks some people out).
those are about the only 2 ways.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts