Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Cedia 1.5liter GDI+CVT. Sometimes when I start the engine , the engines sputters and dies. Sometimes when the car is at idle it sputters and dies also. I thought it might be a fuel system problem so I brought it to the mechanics. I told them to clean the fuel system for me and change a new fuel filter for me. He told me that GDI engines don't have fuel filters and they are build in with the fuel pump. He tells me to let him check the fuel pump and see if it is dirty. A week ago I used some fuel system cleaning additives in the fuel. The problem existed before I used those additives. I only used them once. I want to know if the GDI engine really doesn't have a fuel filter or not? What might be the problem? Sometimes when the engine sputters violently and it doesn't die but I saw the battery red check light goes on and then engine runs back to normal again. I changed spark plugs , oil filter , and air filter. Could it be the spark plug wires? When driving , sometimes the engine gets a sudden spurt of power but it doesn't happen occasionally.Please tell me what suggestions you guys have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your car.
Are there any check engine light in the first place?

I am from Singapore and we used to have lots of Cedias running on our streets. GDI engines are supposedly made to run on 100 octane, sulfur free petrol, which is the sort of fuel you get in Japan.

However in Singapore, our petrol at best is 98 octane, with sulfur. As a result, it caused excessive carbon build ups in GDI engines, spark plugs fouling up sooner than expected, etc... and probably also due to our petrol specs, we were unable to get the sort of fuel economy GDI engines claimed to give. And if you noticed, Mitsubishi Motors Japan has stopped producing GDI engines for some reasons.

From the experience, commonly known problems with this car are excessive carbon build ups and fuel pump failure.

If you have a fuel pump failure, chances are you'll not be able to rev beyond 3000 or 4000 rpm and your 0-60 will take forever.

Dirty throttle body can also cause very rough idling. I'm not sure if you have cleaned your throttle body? You might wanna check it and clean it as it doesn't cost a lot to do so.

One thing to note, GDI engines are rather sensitive to the kind of spark plugs you use. You should always try to use what is being specified in the service manual and never use those common Iridium spark plug on a GDI engine (unless it has been specifically manufactured for GDI engines)

Since your message has been posted a month back, I hope you've already gotten the problems solved. Or else, I wish you luck in solving it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The check engine light was on one time when I left it idling for like 10 mins and when I put it on drive it came on. But I kept on driving it because I have to drive home lol then after driving the car for less than 1 km it went away. It never came back on since then. I haven't checked anything yet because I don't really want those guys to mess with my fuel pump. I don't know if they know much about the GDI engine. But I noticed something.. When I start the engine , sometimes it revs up and then dies. When it doesn't die , rev goes down to 200-300 and battery lights come on then the engine goes back to normal idle. Engine light doesn't come on though. Alternator? Battery? Cables?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, since the engine check light came on before, perhaps you should plug in an OBD-II scanner and read the fault code.

The fault code will still be stored even though there is no check light now, so it's still possible to read it.

Maybe it will give you some clue on what's' causing the problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys I have a similar problem with my GDI same as PICO but it started diffrently I took out my battery a couple of days ago and when reinstalled and startes the car started to rought idle and it seems like it wants to cut off

I have attemped to reset the ECU but that did not work

any suggestions on what to do

·
Registered
7 Posts
PICO, could the throttle body be the problem? all the CVTs i have seen have electric throttle bodies, if its going than you might not be getting enough air into the system which would give your the crappy idle/pickup and go. Might be an avenue to look down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I am driving a GDI Cedia 1.5 with CVT - 02 , Have been havin similar issues on idles and when driving - the check engine light came on occassionally...took it in to the agents and a throttle Body clean up fixed the issues. This is mainly due to carbon and poor fuel quality! Oh and yes there is a fuel filter inside the throttle body! it is very small and is like a small valve! That was changed for 7 $ by the agents as well apart from the one in the tank!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts